Author Topic: Sinew backing questions (pics added)  (Read 14547 times)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Sinew backing questions (pics added)
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 12:11:48 am »
Did you size the back of the bow with glue before you laid down the first layer of sinew? It looks awefully dry..... Hope it works out for you, I'd be worried about those grooves though..... :-\
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 12:19:34 am »
I did size the wood with the glue,  2 coats. 
I'm planning on cleaning up the cutouts before pulling it.  I hope it works too,  i've gotten a touch attached to this little thing.

do you think there would be any advantage to laying sinew across the cutouts in a X patten?
how about wrapping the joining sections in sinew?

never know unless you go
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

orcbow

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 07:45:40 am »
Cool bow! Yeah I would wrap the bow cross-wise in a few places, doesn't hurt, except if you need to scrape wood on the back to tiller. Then the wraps get in the way. But you could just cut them, and replace them later.

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 09:06:52 am »
i tried the spilt limb idea a few years back,it worked great for a while ,but through continued shooting ,the limbs collapesd ,folded inward toward the  center of the bow lengthwise up the entire one half of the bow.mine was only a selfbow-no sinew,and i used cedar.good luck on yours maybe the backing will let it last longer,looks good....let us know how long it goes...........james  p........aka  robustusmagnon

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 06:36:56 pm »
very cool. keep stirring that pot >:D O:)
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 12:54:44 am »
Leave it to a Ca-Nook to do somethin a Yooper never thought of !!! Now that is one cool Bow.....I hope it works...keep Us posted....cause this is one design that I will give a Shot now I have seen it....actually now I have seen it all!!!!  A Split Limbed Yew Bow....gotta be BOM material here!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 02:07:44 am »
Thanks,

It's tough waiting patiently for it to cure,  i'm itching to put it on the stick.

I'm gonna need some help tillering this little thing,  so there will be plenty more pics coming.

www.ravenbeak.com

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 10:25:30 am »
I am not sure that I understand how you put it on. There are really 2 ways of applying sinew for a reason.

1. All layers at one time (this is the way that I d it)
2. One layer at a time with time in between

The reason for doing it one of these 2 ways is so the entire layer is realy one piece. When you use hide glue and sinew and hay stack layer it across the bow the bundles really bond into one piece.

As far as dry time. If you use home made glue the dry time will vary acording how you made it. Regular hide glue or Knox if applied with a minimum amount of glue will be ready in 2 weeks. I have finished tillering a bow that was done this way in as soon as 10 days. It really is dry that soon. The key is, is to use the right amount of glue as you apply. If you use to much it will take a lot longer to cure.

The thing that I would be most concerened about is that your first layer is applied with boiled raw hide glue. This is a very weak glue that is acting as your bond to the wood.

What kind of sinew did you use?
How many tendons did you use?

Steve

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 12:49:15 pm »
Steve,  thanks for the input.

The sinew was applied in stages with time in between.  The time in between was relatively short - 1 or 2 days,  and the layers were relatively thin as I applied it strand by strand.  does this clarify it?

The sinew was nice and long,  6 back tendons from 3 road killed deer and most of the glue was made from one of those deer. 

My biggest concern is that the glue i used early on in the process was from "store bought" rawhide,  which was really white and therefore obviously treated with something.   The glue I made was much darker and while working with it,  obviously stronger.  If anything I would assume I have used too much glue as opposed to too little.   I am curious though,  you say boiled hide glue is weak.  From my understanding this is how true hide glue is made.  Put some hide in a pot, simmer for 2 days,  voila,  crazy strong glue.   Isn't this how the early natives made hide glue to sinew their bows - minus the pot.  I have not ever or do I have any interested in purchasing hide glue,  when it is so fun easy and satisfying to make.

thanks,
Jamie
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 02:24:26 pm »
Jamie....I think what Steve is trying to convey is that any Glue that is just made from Boiled rawhide is weak.... I always use the Scrapings from the Hide...then I throw in the cartilage from the Joints...feet and hooves too...and when I do use Hide pieces....I cut them up really small and run them through my Meat Tenderizer a bunch of times....this lets the Hide let loose all of the Goods that much faster and more of them too....heating Hide Glue too high weakens it also....the reason why you got such white Glue from the Processed Hide is that it was bleached big time before processing into the Dog Chews...or what ever it was you bought....hope that this helps
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 03:34:58 pm »
Jamie,

I meant that Boiled Raw Hide strip from the pet store is poor glue. Sinewing is really a great process that does not take long after you get the hang of it. I sinew on average 2 bows a week and have the system down so that it takes me about 3 hours to completly sinew a pair. Thats with the stuff pounded already.

Any sinew on that back of a bow will help the performance regrdless of how its put on. I would gove it a go and see if it works but would give it some time. The concern that I see is that your bow does not look well covered even though you have 6 tendons on. It should ook more like this:

Yours looks real dry and wirey.

Only trying it will tell. But as others have said, wait at least 2 weeks.

On the subject of hide glue you cant go wrong purchasing it. It is not very costly when compared to the effort of sinew. I always use Knox. Its really the highest quality hide glue you can get.

Steve

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 03:37:10 pm »
Yar, just as El destrcto says. That is what I meant.

Steve

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2008, 07:40:48 pm »
                                                 By the way Steve.................Nice Damned Bow!!!!!

:o

wouldnt expect anything less from a Michigander!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2008, 12:18:52 am »
Thanks guys,  I appreciate the input.,  and yes,  that looks like a beauty of a little bow.

time will tell with this one,  i'll give it atleast two weeks and see.   anyways,  for a first time i sure learned alot,  and will definitely go with the bundles next time.  I am debating between putting more sinew on this one,  or proceeding.  time will tell

sinewing 2 bows a week,  that is inspirational to say the least.  that's what i love about this forum,  the depth of the knowledge. 

www.ravenbeak.com