Author Topic: Had to do a double take  (Read 4542 times)

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Had to do a double take
« on: September 09, 2008, 02:19:01 am »
I'm currently in Maine and I saw something I'd never seen before.  I saw a sign that said "wild blackberries" and "Moose Antlers".  I even turned around and went back to the road side stand with the signs.  Seems a guy collects moose sheds and sells them as a novelty.  Unfortunately the guys selling the berries were there (but hey I needed a snack) but the moose guy was not.  I got his card and I'll be going back in a few day. When I told the berry guys why I wanted a moose billet, he looked at me like I was from Oklahoma or something.

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline DanaM

Re: Had to do a double take
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 11:23:46 am »
Ahhh Mike I think you are from Oklahoma ::) :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 02:10:48 pm »
Come on Dana, does it show?  I thought I had y'all fooled.
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 05:22:00 pm »
Nah! We know your from Missouri!!! Kansass city?

Say, let me know how they are. I'm looking for a smaller sized moose billet and some tines.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 06:40:44 pm »
Wooo Hooooo.  :D  I got me a nice small single moose antler for $29.  It was this spring's shed and the guy actually saw it come off the young 2 year old bull so it's not chewed on, bleached or pithy.  It's even got  some pretty good mass at the base and should make a fairly nice billet (this time the moose guy knew what I was talking about).  One tine is a little messed up from rubbing or fighting but I think I can work around it.

When I get home, I'll post a picture.

D:  If you want I'll PM you the guys address and phone number.  Unfortunately he only had one other single, and it looked a little old and bleached.  It was bigger, but he wanted $37 for it.  He also had some nice and HUGE pairs.  They ranged in price from about $150 up to over $400.   

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 01:59:45 am »
Hmm! At those prices I think I will stick with my copper boppers. Didn't know they were so expensive!  Ouch!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 11:02:39 pm »
Here's the moose antler that I got in Maine.  I think I can make a decent Abo bopper out of it plus some other "do-dads" from what's left over. 

Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 11:10:18 pm »
Good score there Mike! That should work fine for your larger spalling :). I tried to get ahold of one of them awhile back but it didn't pan out - I stuck with my copper ::).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.