Author Topic: Clovis and Folsom  (Read 15141 times)

Offline xin

Re: Clovis and Folsom
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 11:45:05 pm »
Like Cowboy said, Just make sure you have the piece supported really well or you will break the distal end.  I know this because I've probably broken 30 or 40.  Yes, my learning curve is pretty flat.  Lots of support if you're not using a jig.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 12:52:04 am »
God I hope the two princesses never see this post!  :o
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline xin

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 02:14:08 am »
Tiller, I hope they do see it.  Two members, both Tennessee boys, of our coterie confessed to some sort of gutter tittilation by the mention of Clovis pt nipples.  I can only assume this resulted from the repression into the subconscious of some vague lascivious thought.  Confession has a purifying element all its own, so I think they're OK now,However, just to make sure maybe the princesses should go to the next knappin and give themboth a spanking.  I think both parties would enjoy it.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 05:49:54 am »
xin you are killing me.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I think I will go back to napping. ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 07:50:37 am »
J. B. Solberger made a jig that made fluting quite easy.  I have several of his points and they were all thin.  What I have found that works SOMETIMES is to push the point into grass sod to give support to the blade. I have one of his jigs that he sent me before he passed away but don't use it.  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline DanaM

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 10:07:36 am »
As Mullett pointed out, the most desired nipple will be well delinated and not diffusely spread over the  rest of the piece.  The hue and texture   will be dependent on the rest of the body with firmness usually being the most sought after characteristic.   A failuire to be fully extended will usually end in a failure of the entire piece.

So yer saying they need to be perky ;D ::)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline xin

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 11:05:48 am »
St M,   That's 10-4  good  buddy!  Without sounding didactic, let me briefly recapitulate the transfornation of a Clovis pt preform to to a well fluted Clovis pt.  Gently push the material away from each side of the nipple being caqreful not to disturb the nipple itself.  Once this has been done the nipple will usually present itself standing alone and firm.  Before proceeding with the fluting, the nipple should be checked for firmness as any flaccidity could cause the fluting to end in failure.  I usually do this by tweeking the nipple between the thumb and forefinger.  Once firmness has been established the piece can be given a very satisfactory fluting.  After the fluting a little clean-up of the distal end is usually necessary,  but this can usually be accomplished wth pleasant memories and great anticipation of future fluting.        Pappy,   glad to see you got a chuckle.  You and 3 or 4 other guys are the real backbone of this website.  Really apprciate your work and contrbutions.                                                                                                                                       

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 12:46:30 pm »
As I said before you are killing me.I don't know weather you are serious or not ,but that last post made me spit my Tobacco out. ;DNice thread on a kind of somber day. ;) ;D Thanks for the complaments but I don't do much around here but add moral support. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 12:57:12 pm »
 ;D
Mililani Hawaii

Offline xin

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 01:28:04 pm »
Pappy,  It has been raining for two days here in North Tx and it looks like with Ike in the Gulf it may well rain on through the weekend.  I was beginning to get a little cabin fever,couldn't ride my motorcycle, when I came across this post.   It struck me that ouir hobby lends itself to come clean but naughty humor.  Hope I was able to tread the line between naughty and lewd and keep it clean.  You're really too modest about your contributions to the website.  Without you and others like you offering help and posting pics of your work the whole thing would just go away.  Hope you were amused and thanks again for your contributions.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 01:41:56 pm »

Xin, I like your style......Apparently you too are a silver toungued devil......

Wayne

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 02:18:45 pm »
Uh....I still don't get the whole extended, isolated, and firm thing.  Me needs a picture (or two). >:D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline xin

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 02:55:15 pm »
Crafty,  I  regret to inform you that I am unable at this  time to furnish any pictures.  I don't have a digital camera and am terribly technologically challenged.  In the interest of harmony and the furtherance of brotherhood among knappers I will attempt to paint one more word picture.  Fluting is knocking off a couple of easy pieces ,not taking the whole enchilada.   To have a successful fluting , it is usually necessary to isolate the piece you want to knock off.  Sometimes the piece doesn't want to cooperate so the successful  fluter is rewarded by diligence.  Once the piece has been isolated induration of the nipple is essential.   Checking is tactile and must be performed with persistence and commitment .  Now that the piece has been isolated and hardness of the nipple has been  assured the fluting can begin.  It is recommended that the fluting commence with slow steady pressue and end in a forceful climax.  Using  these techniques, well tested by time,  the knapper can be assured of knocking off a couple of easy pieces.  That is all I've got to say about this subject.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2008, 03:48:50 pm »
I think I see it now.....

[attachment deleted by admin]
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline uwe

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2008, 05:52:28 pm »
Thanks for the nippeldiscussion and even for the youtubes. I watched a lot and saved it for the first time under "Favourites" on the PC.
Seems to be a hard job. When I see the apparatures the idea grows, if the Paleoindians did use similar things like the compound jigs.
Now 10000 years later its a lot of speculation what was or what had been possible. Are there any finds of I call it "How to`s"?