Author Topic: Clovis and Folsom  (Read 15303 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: Clovis and Folsom
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2008, 02:03:36 am »
I have a theory on how they made Folsoms. I think they did not form the point before fluting but actually had them squared off then they fluted it so there was no risk of snaping the end off. then all they had to do was trim it all up after the job was done.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2008, 11:14:41 am »
Tiller, Bob Patton has done a lot of Folsom replication experiments, and makes very authentic looking pieces. From studying old points at various stages in the process, he figured that the preform was made, pressure flaked to build a median ridge, and like you said-blunted/rounded at the tip to withstand placing the tip on an anvil block while striking the fluting blow. After the flutes were struck, then it was retouched and refined. Uwe, the old ones didn't use fluting jigs. :) The flutes were done by direct or maybe indirect percussion.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2008, 03:52:42 pm »

Tiller I have had that same theory.  I had always thought about trying it.  That is when I learn to knapp, and actually have some rock to practice on.  I have seen the fluting jigs, and they are pretty neat, but I have always thought about making a preform, and then smacking it.  I have another idea too, may or may not work.  I thought about heating a point up, and then taking a stick that has been soaking over night in water, and laying in on the the base of the point and spalling a flake off, and then doing the other side.  I know, I know, yeah, I do have some strange ideas now and then......
But......has anyone ever actually tried it?  Just imagine if the Wright Brothers has gone along with the current wisdom of the time......

Wayne

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2008, 04:00:48 pm »
Wayne, give it a shot but the old theory about dropping water on the blad to cause flaking is a bit of a myth if you ask me. All it does is cause hairline fractures in the stone but not spalling.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2008, 04:02:03 pm »
PS: Anyone try to do the flutes using bipolar percusion? I have seen this used on small stones but I bet it might work for folsoms if set up correctly.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2008, 04:39:14 pm »
Tiller, the method I was talking about that Bob Patton uses is similar to bipolar-the tip is rested on an anvil of antler or wood, and the flute detachment blow travels to the anvil and bounces back up. His replicas have the same ripple patterns, etc. as the originals.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2008, 05:11:55 pm »
Man! I thought I had brought up a new method. I will have to try it and see how it works. If I can ever get some time to knapp again.

Offline uwe

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2008, 03:04:53 pm »
Tiller, Bob Patton has done a lot of Folsom replication experiments, and makes very authentic looking pieces. From studying old points at various stages in the process, he figured that the preform was made, pressure flaked to build a median ridge, and like you said-blunted/rounded at the tip to withstand placing the tip on an anvil block while striking the fluting blow. After the flutes were struck, then it was retouched and refined. Uwe, the old ones didn't use fluting jigs. :) The flutes were done by direct or maybe indirect percussion.

Sure! But when I see the power of fluting it makes some thoughts.