Author Topic: tree id?  (Read 3990 times)

Offline benjamin

tree id?
« on: September 13, 2008, 09:17:22 pm »
Here is the pic of bark and leaves. Trunk is 4'' diamiter and only 4 rings . FOUR! the last TWO are the heartwood. Was a honey orange color when I was chopping it but has sinse turned about the color of red elm heartwood. The heartwood is only about the size of a quarter so this is a mostly sapwood tree. Pretty sure it's an elm just not sure what kind  Any ideas? And has anyone ever made a bow with only one ring in the limbs? This will either be really good or really bad.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: tree id?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 12:07:45 am »
  I'm sure we don't have that tree down in Florida but the leaves look similar to a type of Elm we have here.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 12:09:11 am »
not sure but it looks like what we call chinese elm.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 12:13:54 am »
  The bark looks to rough to me for Chinese elm.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline sumpitan

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 03:59:51 am »
Elm often grows insanely fast. I've done an elm bow with a single 1/2"+ ring in the working section of the flattie. The bow was an obese dud like many elm bows I've made, but I don't think the single-ring limbs had much to do with that. Wish I'd get more of the stuff to make a short D-bow with really nothing but a single, continuous latewood ring in it.

Tuukka

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 06:58:06 am »
Doesn't look like any elm I'm familar with, the leaves meet evenly at the stem, all the elm I know of meet unevenly.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 09:33:23 am »
Looks like a young White Elm.  I've seen White Elm growing in rich soil with growth rings fully 1/2" thick
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 11:40:30 am »
Yeah, that's definitely an elm. Where are you located? Are the leaves rough and sandpapery feeling on the top, bottom, or both?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline benjamin

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 01:03:02 pm »
They are rough on the top rubbing towards the stem. some of the leaf bases look pretty even while others are definately uneven. I'm in Utah and got lucky enough to find this tree in a neighbor's yard blown over in a storm. Good things come to those who wait.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 07:49:30 pm »
Well, looks like red mulberry we have here, looks like osage when you first cut it but then changes color after a bit. jmo....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 08:39:39 pm »
   It's not big enough for Mulberry.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Mattco

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 10:12:57 pm »
According to Audubon Field guide it has the characteristics of water elm - toothed simple leaves - oval shaped  - alternate - bark islight brown or grey, shedding exposing red - brown inner layers - generally found inN. Carolina to N. Florida

I don't know where you are located - Mattco

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 02:06:08 am »
Hi,  It's just a guess  but it looks like a siberian elm (Ulmus siberiensis) to me.  They are often called 'chinese elm' and are naturalized where I grew up in western Nebraska.  I've seen them advertised  as the "wall of china elm" for their supposed ability to form a quick hedge.  Did you ever notice it producing seeds while it was still growing?  If so what time of year and what did they look like?   Siberian elms produce a winged seed, that is slightly oval over all, and produces them early in the spring before leafing out. 
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

a finnish native

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 05:14:39 am »
I don't know what tree that is, but what I do know is that the thicker the rings in whitewood bows, the better. at least this is mu experience, and I have read so from many sources. go ahead and try. from the sapwood that is. 8)