Author Topic: Alaskan Blacktail hunt  (Read 4319 times)

Offline huntertrapper

Alaskan Blacktail hunt
« on: September 07, 2008, 01:35:03 pm »
im headed to alaska in november and my dads allowing me to take a Elm selfbow and hes taking his curve. were gonna be hunting Blacktail deer. My dads friend can call them into within 10 yards or closer. Im wondering on some tips as to try and keep my bow safer and drier. i plan to rub her down with some hog fat and maybe make a bow sock of blanket or something else. i might take fat with me to clean her up at night too. Anyway, some help from you fellas would be great. Thanks
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Alaskan Blacktail hunt
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 04:57:37 pm »
When I was in Colorado a few years ago, Kenneth and I had a 4" PVC tube that we kept our bows in. In the bottom of the tube we put an open package of rice to absorb and moisture in the tube. Silica gel is a desiccant you could use to do the same. A wipe down with paste wax will also help.   
   Good luck on your hunt. Pics will be expected! ;)      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 04:59:48 pm »
my dad thought about getting the pvc for hauling our bows on the plane....
Modern Day Tramp

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 09:49:52 pm »
Good luck on your hunt brother, look forward to some hunting pics and an article when your return..... HAWK..A/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 10:08:36 pm »
oh...thanks hawk....an article is a good idea...
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Little John

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 12:26:19 am »
Good luck on your hunt, Poly urethane is not primitive but works good  for water prufing.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 12:30:18 am »
The PVC tube we used is the one I shipped my bows out to Colorado in. They make excellent shipping tubes and are relatively cheap.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 01:02:57 am »
Pat is right they make perfect shipping, storage, and weather prufing containers. Cheap also. The only thing that can happen is for the airline  to lose it.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 01:03:24 pm »
yes...that would suck to have them lose our bows, id rather them lose my luggage, then my hunting tool..  ;)
Modern Day Tramp