Author Topic: Things that didn't turn out as expected in the woods.  (Read 15483 times)

Roger

Things that didn't turn out as expected in the woods.
« on: September 10, 2008, 11:08:23 pm »
I was walking through our place in West Texas in a Mesquite thicket. I stumbled across a diamondback rattler (a nice one) giving me a warning to back off. Welp instead of backing off, I broke a limb off a nearby tree and proceeded to try to pin his head to dispach him and get the skin. Well he has made his way into what appeard to be a shallow crack while I was getting the stick so i proceeded to try to dig him out. He was hissin and striking at the stick...when all the sudden I was surrounded by Bees...lots of them, intent on doing me harm...not the snake. So I dropped the stick and take flight....i got stung prolly 10 15 times before I gould get back to camp.

Just one of many oopsies in da woods...Lets hear some of yours

R
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 11:22:28 pm by Roger »

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Things that didn't turn out as expected in the woods.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 11:15:02 pm »
Hahaha, an uplifiting moment for the evening Roger :D. Trust me, I've had my share ;D. I'll think back and see if I can bring a chuckle to someone's life, Hehheh.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Roger

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 11:20:59 pm »
Ha ha..I got quite a few...things just seem to happen to me...LOL

R

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 11:26:35 pm »
Sorry brother but you got me laughing too.. ;D I could just see you running throgh the countryside swatting at those angry  little warriors.. HAWK
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Roger

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 11:35:00 pm »
I tell ya...try to run through a Mesquite thicket with angry bees on ya azz. It is a very moving experience. When I came running into the cabin everybody freaked...but they had already lost the stingers in me. I had one in the temple...man that hurt! LOL

R.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 11:38:17 pm »
Hahahahhahahahahah :D ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 12:25:55 am »
I'd be dead by now if it were me. :o I have never had multiple stings but one will make me swell like a balloon.
   A friend(no not me! >:( ) decided to use the abundant grapes at the hunt club for cover scent. He put his hunting cloths in a large plastic bag with about a pound of muscadines, smished them all together and put his hunting cloths on. He wasn't in his tree stand 5 minutes before the yellow jackets found him. :o  This particular friend has kept his friends entertained with quite a few other situations.                   
   Then there was this other friend that invited some friends to his farm to hunt. He had a large military style tent set up for them to sleep in. He just didn't bother to tell them about the fire ants that had previously occupied the tent.   :D  ;D  ::)  >:D       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Roger

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 12:31:35 am »
HHAHAH  Pat.... i feel for ya wit them damn fire ants. i got a story or two to tell about them!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 12:35:48 am »
Roger, Fortunately it wasn't me but ask Hillbilly and Eddie about it...or Chris Cade. :D     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Roger

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 12:52:04 am »
We took drunk one eve at squirrel camp and decided for some reason to go to a place called yeallah bluff, ( I was the newby in camp)...well we got stuck in a big ol draw...not a mud hole but a draw that was flodded for about 40 yds long. In the process of gathering up stuff to shove under the tires I got into a mound of fire ants.
 Brothers...if ya never been in fire ants please take this as a warnin...don't. Them suckers waited till they got almost near my waist (we was wading in mid calf deep mud) before they started hittin me. Then it seemed like all at onece I was on fire.
Welp I come out of my clothes...standin there nekkid all helpless and all my buds did was laugh....LOL

Fun in da woods..be warned friends...fire ants are some bad SOB's

R.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 12:58:33 am »
Thank god we dont have them in the northwest! No poisonous snakes. No poisonous spider. NADA!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Papa Matt

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 09:24:31 am »
Ain't no timber rattlers in the northwest?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 09:59:05 am »
He just didn't bother to tell them about the fire ants that had previously occupied the tent.                Pat  

Previously my a**- no previously to that situation.  That was present tense, not past.  ;D They presently occupied my durn sleeping bag about 3:00 in the morning.  ;D

The worst fire ant experience I've had so far was down in Ga this summer when me and Chris and Ediie were hog hunting. Chris pulled up in the buggy about dark to pick me up, and I was standing there talking to him when the little buggers started hitting me. I was standing in a hill and didn't realize it until they started popping me. The bad thing is that they don't start stinging until there's about a thousand of them on you, then they all hit you at once.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline tsa yo ga

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 10:57:28 am »
Maybe you could have left the snake alone, no need to kill something you don't need. 

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 11:04:30 am »
Years ago I was working for an outfitter, guiding elk hunters in the River Of No Return Wilderness in Idaho... while leading the mules to water one morning one of the mules stepped in a nest of ground hornets. those little warriors don't quit, the mules abandoned me while I fought bravely for my life.. running and clawing at the vicious little buggers. I dove headlong into a creek in an effort to save myself , but the creek was only about six inches deep and hornets aparently know how to swim :( by the time I rounded up the mules and got back to camp sixty stings made me quite a sight.. in the age old way of the cowboy I never complained..just went back to work with my swollen head held high...  the head guide gave me these words of wisdom..." Stay away from grond hornets nests they BITE"... a man of few words.. HAWK
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston