Author Topic: Things that didn't turn out as expected in the woods.  (Read 15484 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Things that didn't turn out as expected in the woods.
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 02:49:43 pm »
  Steve got educated real good that weekend. The next afternoon I rolled up to talk to Hillbilly. While we were talking I noticed Steve was standing in another fireant bed. :D :P  And did I ever mention anything about Chiggers? ::) :-\
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 02:53:29 pm »
While we were talking I noticed Steve was standing in another fireant bed.
Yeah, right-I guess that's why you were dancing, swatting, and using all that creative language.  ;D ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cracker

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 05:13:33 pm »
just try driving a tractor under a tree with a low hanging hornets nest in it yowsa.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 05:22:19 pm »
Snake nearly falling on you from a hanging lantern as you exit your house! (That was in Maryland when I was a kid!)
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 08:44:34 pm »
 David, ever had a nice , big ol' fat, water moccasin fall out of a tree into your canoe on a skinny creek? :D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 01:50:58 am »
Nope Eddie! I hope never to have that experience either. I can only guess who ended up in the water first! I hates snakes!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 02:21:07 am »
I was digging ginsing a few years back when I came up on a big patch of 3 and 4 prongs.  I fell down on my knees and went to digging.  I got about one root dug up and was admiring how big it was when BAM! Something stung me. And then again and again!
 Turns out, I had dug into a yellow jacket nest and was sitting astraddle of it. They had me covered up before I knew it.
  I left sang, hoe and all where they was.  I went back later and got my hoe.  Sometime while I was gone, a fox or something had dug the yellow jackets out and ate them. >:D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 09:13:39 am »
My most memorable recent unexpected hunting event happened just last year while hunting at Pappy's. I've told this story already, but maybe some of you missed it.

It was a fine cool afternoon and I left Pappy's with high expectations. Pappy was busy working on a bow I think, and was not hunting that afternoon. He put Hanna and Sadie up in the pen while I headed to my stand. I had been up in the stand less then 5 minutes when I heard something running toward my tree. Sadie wanted to share my hunt with me apparently, and her nose was way too skilled in tracking for my taste...at least when it's me she's tracking. She quickly tracked me right up to the tree and looked up at me as if to ask...what are you doing up there? ;D  I sit tight hoping she would leave, but instead she started smelling around the area and a little marking of her territory by taking a leak here and there. Finally I had enough and decided I'd take her back to the cabin. I got down and started heading back and Sadie soon ranged far in front of me running back toward the cabin.

I really wanted to hunt that evening and decided just maybe Sadie would go back on her own, so I headed to a second stand site. You guessed it, she waited for me to get up in the tree again before showing up. Well I was beginning to get slightly agitated by then, and got down the second time and started heading back to the cabin. This time I ran into Pappy with the truck, he was looking for Sadie. She was following the truck back to the cabin, and I thought for sure I'd be safe to head for a third stand. I really did want to hunt that evening. Well, it was not to be again...yes Sadie had looked back and didn't see me following and I guess she preferred a Greg in the woods over a Pappy at the cabin!  ;D She may have actually known what she was doing and was gaining some sick sense of enjoyment from all my walking and tree climbing that I was doing. This time I pretty much had given up and decided I wasn't climbing another tree until I saw Sadie securely locked up in her pen!  :) I got back to the cabin behind Sadie, and found her resting in the pen where Pappy had just put her. I think she was actually a little tired from all the exercise she'd been getting!  ;D

Well all of this had been taking some time, and I wasn't sure if I had enough time or strength left to climb another tree! ;) But Pappy told me about a stand close to the cabin and I went to it and made it up the tree. I'd been sitting there about ten minutes when I saw a dead dog (not Sadie or any other dog I knew) about twenty yards from my tree. This dog was looking pretty bad as it had been dead at least for several days. I just didn't feel much confidence in that stand with the dead dog there, so I got down the fourth time of the afternoon and walked clear across the road to the other side of the farm to another stand I knew of. I finally got to sit in that stand until dark, without seeing any deer by the way. I was probably stinking so much from sweating that a deer would be able to smell me upwind 200 yards away! ;D

I hope I paid some dues that afternoon! It took me a while to forgive Sadie, but I finally did realizing she was only doing what came naturally to her. Pappy if you read this...please don't let Sadie out of the pen next time I come hunting!  ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 11:18:15 am »
Shannon, I had the exact same thing happen to me while sang digging-the biggest four-prong I ever found is still in the ground if somebody else hasn't dug it since then. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 05:18:19 pm »
Greg we all seen ya pile into a plate of Grants cooking and ya know how Sadie just sits there staring at ya as you eat every bite. Well, she was just following you to find out where ya had left all the food!  ;D  Man that dogs a chow hound!!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2008, 09:00:17 am »
She just likes being close to Greg,cause she knows the food couldn't be far away,I will keep her up next time.She can find me no matter where I go on the farm,and no matter how long I have been gone.  ;) ;D Of course she can do the same with a wounded deer. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2008, 07:41:10 pm »
I sure wouldn't mind seeing here track a deer down. Must be quite a sight!

Offline Postman

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 12:18:10 pm »
back before the trad bug bit me, (there's a GOOD  insect to get stung by ;D...) Had a big (350 lb or so is big for here) black bear follow doe - in -heat lure in like a dog to 15 feet of my ground blind. Stood up and said "dude- don't make me shoot you!" and pointed my .308 at him. He stood there for a few seconds and ambled off.
He was out of season by 10 days.  >:( 
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2008, 12:16:20 am »
I use to use coon urine as a cover sent one fall morning while sitting in my tree stand as first light was coming up ,I began to hear the sound of leaves crunch and rustle in the rhythmic pattern.As MY heart began to beat faster and faster and the anticipation of what was about to unfold I began to strain my eyes searching for the deer that I knew would soon fall plight to my arrow .But know matter how hard I strained my eyes I could not see the deer by now the crunch of leaves was a crescendoing  noise I knew they had to be close.And thats when I looked down and two of the biggest Racoon's I have ever seen were sniffing around and around the base of the tree I was sitting in. As the adrenaline surged to its maximum force and fear was great  suddenly reality hit me it was not a deer that would fall plight to my arrow  this fall morning.But me that would fall plight to these Racoon's
                                                                               Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2008, 11:13:15 am »
I was screwing in my last tree step about 12 feet up a cedar tree about 20 years ago. I leaned back against my pole climbing harness, next thing I knew I was on the ground with a broken back and wrist. Sure wasn't expecting such a quick trip to the ground.