Author Topic: Things that didn't turn out as expected in the woods.  (Read 15482 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Things that didn't turn out as expected in the woods.
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2008, 12:22:19 pm »
Eric. You are a lucky man to be here today, typing your message. I know a guy that can't even do that because of a tree stand accident. I think about it every time I climb a tree.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2008, 10:30:42 am »
In spite of the unfortunate turn of events, I consider that day the luckiest day of my life.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2008, 06:34:55 pm »
I was about ten years old hunting turkeys with my dad.  We were sitting on the ground all morning, and then went in for lunch. Well when we got back to the camp i went to take a piss and realized i had two ticks on some very important body parts iof you were to have kids later on in life.  i was so dang scared i went running to my dad and showed him.  you should have seen my face when he was heating uo his swiss army knife to coax em out.  ill never forget that one as long as i live!
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2008, 01:03:46 pm »
Ain't no timber rattlers in the northwest?

Only east of the Cascade mountains! Diamond backs I think. Dont think we have Timber out this way. Do have some sidwinders in places. Avoid the Mojave Green rattler as there is no anti-venom for their bite and it will kill you!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

kyleM

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2008, 08:33:02 pm »
Ain't no timber rattlers in the northwest?

I actully do believe there is a snake called the Michigan Rattler? Ive seen one before that has a rattle on the tail, or makes some kind of rattling sound... but it isnt poisonius!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2008, 08:43:59 pm »
Michigan has rattlers but way down in southern michigan, Pine(fox) snakes will sometimes rub their scalles together making a
rasping sound that can be mistaken for a rattle.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

kyleM

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2008, 08:45:19 pm »
Michigan has rattlers but way down in southern michigan, Pine(fox) snakes will sometimes rub their scalles together making a
rasping sound that can be mistaken for a rattle.

This one was at the marina in town dad, over by the fence. We were trying to catch a goffer in a net :) lol

Offline PeteC

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2008, 09:22:35 am »
Fire ants!!,I live in east Texas and this has been one of the worst years to date.Most folks have a house note,and a truck note,we have a "Amdro" note,trying to keep them away from the house.I've got scars on my legs from all the bites through 51 years of the little red devils.We've even got a name for the panic'd, explosive rush to get shed of the pests,"the fire ant dance",and we're all pretty good at it!!Several have mentioned how they all wait to sting at the same time,well,if you've got real good hearing,and listen real close,you can hear the leader countin', 1,2,and 3,NOW!!!   I train horses,and I have to be particular about where I stop,(while working a young horse).If enough ants get on a colts leg,it can get pretty western if you let your guard down.Just think,Noah had just 2 of them on the ark,and all it would have taken was one mis -step.  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

salad days

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2008, 04:57:45 pm »
Michigan rattlers are poisonous. They are mostly in southeast but the only one I've ever seen in my life was right in the middle of my campfire pit outside of Grayling. Too little for bows lucky for it cuz it startled the crap out of me!

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2008, 06:53:04 pm »
I hate that rattling sound they make! Sends shivers up your back faster than anything else I have ever come across. But thank god they do rattle and give you some warning!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill