Author Topic: My First bow, new yesterday  (Read 4140 times)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
My First bow, new yesterday
« on: September 11, 2008, 09:23:05 pm »
Everybody needs to find a new pastime occasionally.  I think I have found one here.   Some fellows on another (small boat) forum also build bows.  They warned me......and told me that one would not be enough.   They told me that I'd think about bows at work, and on the drive home.......that I'd have to make a steamer, and a press, and a quiver and arm guard, and learn to make bowstrings.....   Stay away, they said, run while you still can.   

Did I listen?   Yes, for a while.   Then, I HAD TO MAKE A BOW......you all understand. 

Well, I was at Lowes.  Picked out a 1x3 Oak.  Figured I'd make a bow, break it, and get it out of my system. 

I roughed out an outline and sawed it on the band saw.   then penciled a line down the side for the belly cuts.   Sawed them out.   Bent the bow a little, no flex.   Got out my trusty block plane and smooted it all up.   Hmmm......bent a little.    Planed a little more.......and stood in front of the belt sander for a minute.   Wow.......bent nice that time.    Scraped a little, sanded a little, cut grooves for the string.  Made a string out of two lengths of old yellow mason twine. 

OK.......I'm hooked.  The feeling of EMPOWERMENT when i first strung it up and drew it back halfway was amazing.   I was somehow connected to every brave, every warrior, every bowman who had ever drawn a bow.   And, yes, I think you all know that feeling. 

When I can, I'll post a picture or two. 

Thanks to all of you who have gone before me and laid down tracks!

Piper

Offline Dano

Re: My First bow, new yesterday
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 09:59:08 pm »
Practice this Piper, "Hello, may name is Piper, and I am addicted"  ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 09:59:33 pm »
Welcome to the addiction, but you've already found that out. ;D
I'm looking forward to seeing the bow!
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 10:00:46 pm »
And welcome to PA.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 10:14:08 pm »
Your addicted piper - ain't nothin you can do about it ;D. Don't try to fight it - just show lot's of pic's of your projects, everybody needs a helping hand now and then ::) :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

StickBender55

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 10:48:31 pm »
I just started myself and I can't believe how this takes over your every waking moment. I have been planning the next couple of bows while only being about 2/3 way through the first one.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 07:32:17 am »
I just started myself and I can't believe how this takes over your every waking moment.  ....

well, as long as it takes over ONLY the waking momemnts it's not REALLY an adiction, yet! - but you'll sure be getting there, don't worry!!  8) 8) 8)

frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 08:37:55 am »
Most of the guys I work with are into football and other sports which I personally could care less about. They get tired of hearing me talk about making bows and hunting, and I really should give them a break...but I just can't help myself!  ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 09:02:33 am »
Welcome to the support group we meet every , wait a minute I mean the forum
                                                                                         Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 09:21:22 am »
Welcome Piper,you will like it here.You are right for most of us it is a life long ailment we have learned to deal with. Good luck on your persuit and show us some pictures of what you are working on.We love pictures.  :) ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TRACY

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 10:58:54 am »
Here you go IP. Save yourself  some time and go here and join the rest of us. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,6591.0.html

Welcome aboard, Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 11:05:32 am »
welcome, nice intro.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 11:20:25 am »
piper....
welcome to the addiction.

those guys were right.... too late to turn back now. you're cooked!

I build a couple wooden boats long ago and loved it... now I dont have the time... too busy building bows and arrows... minds well say good bye to those other folks.

Just kidding. Unfortunately, for most of us, (at least me) I can only have one or 2 time consuming hobbies.
Luck...
and welcome.
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

salad days

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 01:23:04 pm »
I just started making bows this spring. I am starting a wood and canvas canoe this winter. You can pretty much find any info about bow building on this site. It has become my number one rescource. Can't wait to see the pics.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 11:14:55 am »
I feel for you piper.You'll never look at trees,shrubs with shoots,or cane,the same way again.It's hopeless,but dang fun!!!!             God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas