Author Topic: natural cover scents  (Read 18023 times)

big creek

natural cover scents
« on: November 03, 2006, 10:41:14 pm »
I think last year there was a discussion on using cover scents and soaps.  Does anybody here use natural cover scents?  And what about soaps and deodorant?  Personally I use scent free laundry detergent, soap, and spray on cover scent.  My experience is that they work, and would like to continue using them,  but I would like to get away from supporting the big buisness hunting companies.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: natural cover scents
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 11:32:25 pm »
Hey Big Creek- Know what you mean about supporting big companies.I havent used any of the various cover scents or soaps.What i do is use what is in the area-for instance down here i use "lighter knot" which is pine tree bark and sap.I make a smugde fire with lots of smoke and put my hunting clothes over it when i go to hunting camp -bow and arrows also as well as quiver. Has turnpentine smell to it-natural in trees-to fly in the face of convention-i also use chewing tobacco and hog scat on my mocs or sneakers-whatever i am wearing. Since hogs are natural to these areas.I try not to eat meat(dont eat it unless i harvest it) for a few days before i go hunting and eat mostly veggies and drink water-no salt or sugar.Sounds like a pain but its real easy-well at least for me.This stuff works for me-i guess what this long winded blurb is really saying is use whats natural for the area.I think woodsmoke and tobacco confuses animals and they are used to it-close proximity to man-havent found that associating it with man makes a discernable difference .-bob

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 08:20:01 am »
 A 30 cent box of baking soda works great to wash your hunting clothes in. The best natural cover scent is the wind.  Hunt into it. If the wind is blowing wrong for a stand, don't sit in it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

big creek

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 10:38:37 am »
I have hunted while camping and know that woodsmoke will cover over the human smell well.  Never tried it on purpose.  The turpentine thing wouln't work here.  We have mixed hardwoods mostly.  By the way I have used a soap called Grandpas pine tar for everyday use.  You finish showering smelling like a baseball bat.  It is supposed to be good for the skin also.  I always include wind direction in my plans but it does not always work out.  Last night would be a good example.  The wind was from the South but swithched to the West for the hour before sunset.  After the sun went down it was from the South again.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 01:20:21 pm »
THe wind is unpredictable here to-like others try to use it-hillbilly's suggestion is a good one i think-baking soda- i hunt mostly from the ground-too boring for me in a tree stand-amazing how pne scent works -isnt it?-bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 11:47:51 am »
I hunt in sage brush country, so I break off small branches of sage and put them in the duffle bag where I keep my cammo.  Then when I go hunting I get some sage or buck brush (anything from your area with a strong odor) and rub it on my pants to create a little stronger cover scent.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 12:17:15 pm »
I use local aeromatic vegitation for cover scent but hunting with the wind in your favor is the most important cover scent. If you are up wind from a deer or other game animal it doesn't matter what cover scent you have on, you're busted.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

MattE

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 04:35:19 pm »
When I could hunt, I use to rinse my clothes in baking soda ,And hang them out doors.I  also washed my rubber boots off before going into the woods. As far as cover scents on my body , I never thought they did any good. You still have to cover the scent you give off while breathing. It cancels out all other preparation you have made, so why bother! Hillbilly has the right idea use the wind. I have had pretty good luck in the past with this method.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 05:21:02 pm »
I agree-Use the wind when you can. Also-iagree with Matt E have to over youre breath as much as you can-thats why i try to eat veggies-no meat,salt,sugar before the hunt-trying not to smell like a predator-bob

big creek

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 07:03:28 pm »
A friend of mine swears by apple flavored jolly ranches to mask his breath.  Currently I brush my teeth with baking soda before a hunt.  I have tried chewing on grass or leaves; don't know if it really works.  Justin, is sagebrush as strong as sage from the kitchen?  If so, it must work well. 

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 08:21:35 pm »
BigCreek I would say it smells less bitter, but is just as strong. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006, 10:42:27 pm »
Hey Big Creek- Now thats primitive(chewing on grass and leaves)-Whowee must taste terrible!-bob

big creek

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 11:00:22 pm »
Most of what I tried has been pleasent.  Besides, part of the reason for doing this was to get the arm and hammer taste out of my mouth.  It seems no matter how many times you rinse the taste lingers.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 11:32:44 pm »
I thought arm and hammer was a laundry detergent?-just kidding-hmm-wonder how laundry detergent tastes?haha-bob

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2006, 03:31:04 am »
     Oh yeah, I forgot to add that as for deoderants, you can get a hard deorant called " Thai Crystal" at your local health food store.  It really works well.  You sweat, because it is not an anti-persperant.
So it does'nt contain any aluminum chlorohydrate. It comes in a plastic twist type tube, or as a rock in a plastic bag.   
                                                 Stickbender