Author Topic: natural cover scents  (Read 18019 times)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: natural cover scents
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 04:12:23 pm »
Hemlock, rub it in your hands and wipe it all over your clothes, also leave some in my clothes container.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2006, 02:39:39 pm »
I've used all kinds of things that I find in the area. I'm a firm believer in scents, and I've used artificial and natural. I avoid fires at all costs due to a nice buck scenting me from a long way away after I put wood in our stove. He was sneaking up behind me...nothing I could do about it. It was years ago, but I've been paranoid about it every since.

I like cedar and persimmons. Both work great to rub on boots and clothes, but persimmons make your clothes a little sticky.
 ;D

It's not a cover scent, but I keep the scent glands off the legs of every buck I kill. You can freeze them in a plastic bag and tie them on your boots the next year. They work.
Doug from Missouri

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2006, 01:48:30 am »
I've always used dog fennel, cedar and pine rubbed on my cloths to help blend in...or step in a meadow muffin if it were fresh. I read an article last year about making your own cover scents that specified using materials that are indiginous to the area you're hunting in and when they were in season.
   A funny story about cover scents...My long time hunting buddy, Richard, got the brilliant idea to use grapes as a cover scent because the grapes were so plentiful that year that the woods smelled like wine. He collected a good mess of grapes and put them and his hunting cloths in a garbage bag and smished them all together. After his cloths were well scented with "ole de grape" he hung them out to dry. When time came to hit the woods, Richard "dressed out" in his scented hunting cloths and headed out.   Well, in Georgia, during the early archery season, it can be quite hot and sweaty and by the time Richard got to his stand, climbed the tree and settled in to cool off, it was apparent that the crop of yellow jackets was as aboundant as the grapes. Needless to say that was probably the least amount of time that Richard ever spent in his stand.
   This happened quite a few years ago but is one of those stories that is revisited each year(at least once) around the club camp fire.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mnewcomb59

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2006, 02:13:22 am »
lol there is lots of baking soda in toothpaste because it kills odor. It also helps to whiten teeth. I put some toothpaste on my toothbrush and then tip the whole thing in a box of baking soda. Kills bad breath and leaves it feeling nice and clean.

Feltn

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2006, 08:12:13 pm »
Matt, put some lemon juice on your toothbrush then dip in baking soda, it will clean better and helps cover the baking soda taste.

Offline Kjikakakuj

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2007, 11:58:43 am »
   Bayberry leaves and or leaves from sweetfern were used by Mi'kmaq native poeples of the eastern canadian region as cover scents being rubbed on the body and clothing just prior to the hunt. Would probably be effective to store your hunting clothes covered in the leaves in an airtight bag. Pine needles would probably be a good for storing your clothes in. Would keep the moths away during the non hunting season. Cedar?  Smudging would probably cover scets but may cause game to be wary. Animals probably think, "Fire baaad!".

Interested in hearing other ideas.

---Sean
          Mi'kmaq Nation

jamie

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2007, 12:57:56 pm »
wood smoke and deer crap. i do eat meat. i just dont eat before hunting in the morning. and if its afternoon ill fast for the day eating after the hunt. a hungry hunter is a good hunter.  ;Dpeace

Offline butch

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2007, 09:13:33 am »
when i was hunting elk regulary i crushed garlic cloves and rubed them on my clothing. had 5 elk pass at 6' while sitting in a mannzanita bush. almost scarry. seldom do deer respond to smelling me or the garlic.

makete

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 12:45:18 pm »
I read in an article in an old field and stream mag about making your own cover scents. What it said was take some foliage from what ever plant that you want, and let it dry out. Once it is dry, crush it and put it into a jar then cover with vodka or some kind of alcohol(dont remember what kind), then put it in a dark place and let sit. Every once in a while shake it up. After a couple of weeks strain thru cheese cloth and put in a clean spray bottle. The alchol will evporate and leave the resign from the plant you put in the bottle. On a plus side the vodka does not really have much of a smell of its own. It said you can use just about anything. Use the branches and foliage.( hope that word is spelled correctly). Pines and cedars would really work great. hope this helps.

makete

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2007, 12:50:57 pm »
I know of a couple of places that are great to see game but have a swirly wind due to the hills around it. You could be facing the wind and 40 yards away you scent is comming back across the place you expect the game to show up. I have used milk weed pod fluff to check wind and have found out about this swirly wind. The fluff can be seen for a long way and it really helps.

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2007, 01:26:34 pm »
Washing your clothes in distilled vinegar will neutralize any odor.  It works great if clothes have been left in water and have mildew odor!  Also you can buy cedar blocks and/or balls to put in your closet bag or whatever.  Dried herbs put in a cheesecloth bag will do the same.  ;D
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

basil_brush

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2007, 03:14:12 pm »
Once it is dry, crush it and put it into a jar then cover with vodka or some kind of alcohol(dont remember what kind), then put it in a dark place and let sit.

If I recall correctly, that's because most scents are based on hydrocarbon molecules and hence not very soluble in water. But alcohol, being a hydrocarbon itself, makes a good solvent for scents.

I read that you can sprinkle pepper on the ground to help prevent you being pursued by tracker dogs. Don't know if that would be of any use for deceiving your prey while hunting.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2007, 05:03:49 pm »
if the pepper makes them sneeze you might get an undetected shot. ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stickbender

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2007, 01:03:45 am »
     Pat, be careful of Redbugs in the dog fennel.  When I was a kid, I used to get them alot, and it was usually after running through, or hiding in dog fennel, while playing.

Stickbender

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2007, 01:37:29 am »
Parsley is a good breath scent eliminater. Thats why they serve it at restrants
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley