Author Topic: Interesting situation!  (Read 8104 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Interesting situation!
« on: September 12, 2008, 01:10:30 am »
I got a phone call today from a friend of an old landscape customer of mine. His house is in a subdivision but his adjoining 7 acs are not(no restrictions). His wife has a 2 ac native plant garden and a "rogue" deer is jumping over or swimming around her 7' tall deer fence and eating everything. He wanted to know if I would come over with my bow and shoot that "rogue" deer. ::)  DAH! YEAH!!!  ::) I will meet him and possibly the game warden(my suggestion) on Saturday morning to scout the property and see what legalities might come into effect. One problem is they rarely see the deer during the day light hours(that's why I suggested the game warden)  ;D 
   Many years ago a friend was poaching on Hilton Head Island, SC. He had his stand in a wooded area(there weren't man homes on HHI then). A nice fat Flossy(doe) walked by and he took the shot. The deer ran off so my friend waited for about an hour and preceded to trail the blood. As he broke from the woods he saw his arrow...sticking up in the deer he shot.....laying in the middle of a beautiful formal rose garden. :o  Getting the deer out of there was way more difficult than the blood trail.  ;D 
   This hunt is what I picture when I think about hunting next to a restricted sub division.  ::)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Interesting situation!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 03:01:04 am »
Last I checked, here in TX we can hunt without a problem on tracks that are 11 acres or more.  The 7 acre track might be too small to hunt on, but the game warden might be able to suggest how to capture the deer in an enclosure and then release it somewhere else.  That's how they handle it in these parts.

Or you can just run over it with one of those high-powered riding lawn mowers. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 06:46:45 am »
The only problem is even with a good shot it is likely to get off 7 acs. I have some friends that hunt spots like that,I helped track one that went right across the front yard of an apartment complex. :o
The folks there wasn't to happy with us. >:(At least it died behind the building in a brush pile.We
got it out before the law got there. Tough call but I would probably go for it if it were me. :) you
know ,the bird in the hand thing. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 07:31:49 am »
Pat find the spot that its getting into the garden and be waiting for it with a little surprise ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 08:08:38 am »
The fine shot I know you are,you could spine shoot it. :) Wa la no tracking. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 08:48:14 am »
 A 22 with a Mountain Dew bottle taped on the end of the barrel works ,too,, so what I've been told. 8)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Little John

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 09:04:58 am »
This deer is probably used to human scent and not the wildest deer in the woods, so if it works out for you take a close shot from a stand and go for the spine.   Hope it works out.      Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 11:34:32 am »
They will know what to expect before I "hunt" this "rogue" deer. I may not be able to use my "primitive" stuff but I will at least use Trad stuff. I'll have to see what the game warden has to say.  ::)
  The folks in this subdivision are split down the middle as far as dealing with their deer problem. Some are fed up with the damage but others don't want "Bambi" to be hurt. As long as I am on the private property there is no problem with the legalities during legal hunting hours. Public opinion might be different.
   I guess we will see tomorrow. I'll keep ya'll posted.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BradB

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 12:30:06 pm »
.22LR subsonic b/t the eyes.  its called pest controll.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 04:28:01 pm »
Hear in the WA by law we can retrieve deer from someones property if it wounded and drops on thier property to remove it.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 04:55:51 pm »
  I cant belevie there isnt a jeep owner thats not willing to run over it for them.Its a shame Mullet is too far away.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 05:20:06 pm »
Augie! Dont tempt Eddie. He could end up there with his jeep and everything! ;)
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 06:24:18 pm »
Just shoot him with your "primitive" bow. He isn't going to get out nearly so easy if he has been stuck through the vitals.  A good lung shot and he will run into the deer fence and stop. If he cant get back out it is a canned hunt and illegal in most states. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 06:37:41 pm »
I'm gonna use a bow. That has already been established. That's why this gentleman called me in the first place....because I am a bow hunter. 8)   The problem seems to be the time of day(or night as it were). This doe is a night raider. If it is OK with the game warden I'll set up for a nighttime pest elimination event. ;D   The long term problem is this doe has raised quite a few young on this property over the years. Her mom might have taught her. After she is gone her offspring will move in. Sounds like job security to me. ;D
   If I am able I will use my regular hunting set up for this year. Yew self bow or osage static recurve self bow with 2 fletch cane arrows and stone heads. If not, my Treadway with cedars and Wensel woodsman heads. ;)    Pat

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 10:58:40 am »
good luck pat!  i'm heading down today to check with a fellow about hunting a large subdivision.  i've hunted it for the last couple years and have seen a ton of deer there.  i'd go with the ww's.  they let in a lot of light for a quick kill.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy