Author Topic: Interesting situation!  (Read 8105 times)

Offline huntertrapper

Re: Interesting situation!
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 01:01:13 pm »
good luck with that sir...we have the same thing here...deer are being pushed into smaller areas and getting into peoples yards and gardens and they get mad...well stop developing and building and its less problems...but telling anyone this never stops anything...its sad to see the animals being hit because their being pushed from their homes...
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 01:20:06 pm »
I just met with the land owners. It probably is not gonna happen. Turns out they have 85ac and only 2ac that their house sits on is a part of the subdivision.
   I thought it appropriate to educate these nice folks to the reality of hunting deer with a bow. The way an arrows kills with all the gory details. The possibility that even a mortally shot deer could travel quite a bit and end up in someone else's yard. The possibility that a deer could be wounded(gut shot for instance) and it could be hours before the deer died. I wanted them to know what to expect if this did take place....the positive and negative aspects of bow hunting...and hunting in general.
   This isn't a simple situation. The deer are devastating these folks(and others) yards but probably half of the community are anti hunting. They consider these deer as pets; with names for each.The community is pretty tight so bad feelings and bad publicity isn't an option. Gun hunting is not an option either.
   They asked me if I would come and talk about the deer problem with a group from this community to help educate them about wildlife management as it relates to their situation. Of course I told the yes. This may turn out to be a good hunting situation for me at a later date but for now it is not. I would rather educate them and try to sway the anti hunters that way. I want this to be a positive situation and I want to put a good light on deer hunting as management and not just as killing deer. This could be a very good opportunity to develop a relationship and educate the ones that are against hunting....or I could be just peeing in the wind. ::) Time will tell.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 05:32:45 pm »
If you make it clear that you're there to fill your belly, as well as help them and their neighbors out, it would be a little different than going in and "killing Bambi cause it's there".

Or pull a Jamie and leap on it's back and wrestle it to the ground with your teeth ;D.

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 12:01:37 am »
Your going the right way. Now the way we handle it here in Missouri we find were them there deer is coming into the yard and we digs us a slight depression . That so's we can lay down in it and cover ourselves with dirt. But we lay there with a twelve inch knife in both hands .Now we wait till that there deer is right on top of us. Then we come flying up out that there trench with both arms a going with them there twelve inch knifes you see.By the time that there deer realizes what got em .its done boned,wrapped and out of there by the time that there skeleton gets to the neighbors yard. Cause what right minded law official officer is going to believe the 911 call from the neighbors . about seeing that there skeleton ghost deer running across that there yard. works every time .But you see the secret is you gots to be quick or all you will get is deer do do and fur
                                                                                               Dennis ;D
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 07:32:13 am »
 ;D ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TRACY

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 12:50:15 pm »
I think you have the right attitude towards this situation. I've spent many years doing urban deer management and through my experiences with most states and natural resource departments is that they're not open to using the bow and arrow for isolated incidents. I've had a hard time convincing local communities that controlled archery hunts are a very effective way of maintaining populations on an annual basis after a controlled shoot to reduce the population initially. Educating the public is the key element. I can sell a controlled firearm deer removal with suppression, bait, and night vision easier than a quiet, low profile archery program with lower costs overall. In most cases they opt for the high tech program. Keep trying and good luck.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 02:30:50 pm »
Tracy, last year NC started an urban deer season for archery only. It is up to the community to set it up.  In this particular circumstance about half of the residents are "animal rights" supporters, which I accept their right to be. But, if they truely believed in animal rights they would allow the legal harvest and controll of deer. I think it is ironic that these folks would rather see deer die of starvation or a deer/auto type of population controll. I don't think they realize how much more humane hunting is, and especially bow hunting(IMO) as compared with Mother Nature's methods or collisions with autos or in some cases starvation.
   Except for this situation, this is a tight knit community and because of that, I wanted them to know all of the gory details that were possoble with an archery hunt. The property owners decided it wasn't worth loosing close friends over. Like I said, any other weapon or method of controll is out of the question unless the state wants to get involved...and I'd bet they don't!  ;).       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 09:59:21 pm »
Pat, now we wae getting the same problem with deer. Last winter they were real hard on Kathie's young trees, about twenty were buck rubbed badly. Now they are coming into the new part of the orchard and eating her new fruit trees. One of these raiders might have a colision with an arrow. Any  way like you say it keeps them out of someones automobile grill as we live right on the highway.                    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Susquehannock

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2008, 11:30:55 pm »
Have you ever seen the movie "Caddyshack"???? I imagine Bill Murray could help you. He seemed to take care of that gopher . . . or did he?