Author Topic: Saami Bows?  (Read 11407 times)

Offline shortarrow

Saami Bows?
« on: September 12, 2008, 10:12:20 pm »
I was looking through an old copy of Instinctive Archer magazine and came across an article on Saami bows. Anybody ever built one? There is one variation that doubles as a ski pole.

Rob

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Saami Bows?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 11:12:35 pm »
                     and another one that doubles as an Instrument that is played sorta like a Cello!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 07:14:59 am »

if i ever come along the right piece of pine compression wood that has grown up the artic circle i WILL make one!  ;D ;D ;D
frank

[attachment deleted by admin]
Frank from Germany...

Offline shortarrow

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 04:20:21 pm »
Those are great pics medicinewheel.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 07:15:39 am »
I believe there is an old PA article on Saami bow's.  I can't remember which issue, but if you check out the site and look for contents of the back issues you will probably find it.
Traverse City, MI

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 07:36:49 am »

i'm sort of sure the bow pictured is not a saami bow; those are straight limbed.
this is a variation from sibiria with the same sort of construction: birch-backed compression pine!
maybe the lost stellmoor bow was something similar (just my opinion...)
but these bows are really interesting and smart constructions.
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 10:38:43 am »
If you go over to Paleoplanet there is a great replica made with Ipe, a backing strip and sinew. It looks fantastic. It does have a non-traditional snakeskin backing but it is easy to imagine it with birchbark.   http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/18433/t/Lamination-attempt-2-Ipe-Elm-Sinew.html
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 12:16:12 pm by PatM »

a finnish native

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 08:00:31 am »
hmm.. Maybe I will build one some time and present it here. After all I do live on Sami country, on the arctic circle ;)

Offline Fundin

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 09:11:04 am »
I have just planed the willow backing for my first yesterday (the only preserved one was willow (Salix caprea) backed spruce (Picea abies) compression wood.

I am not sure all the Saami bows were straight, the one Linneaus collected was for sure, but pictures of saami people with bows can resemble static recurves at times.

a finnish native

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 11:08:30 am »
yeah, the Saami people definitely had some static recurves in their bows. (not in all of them). I believe that one Saami bow that has been preserved had Birch as backing material and compression pine on the belly. some sources claim that there would have been European bird cherry also (prunus padus), but I can't see where on the bow it would have been. Maybe as an alternative for birch.

tpoof

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 11:37:17 am »
It would be something to see a working replica along with the ski pole snow basket on the bottom limb..
I can recall the article on the old PA mag... it was most impressive and the bow would have to be even more able to do double duty as a weapon and a ski pole...
a hunting bow goes thru stresses,, a ski pole has its work to do..
multitasking would be an great achievement for a piece of wood.. :o  :D

Offline shortarrow

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 01:26:46 pm »
It would be very cool to see a working replica of the ski pole version.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 08:54:35 pm »
If you go over to Paleoplanet there is a great replica made with Ipe, a backing strip and sinew. It looks fantastic. It does have a non-traditional snakeskin backing but it is easy to imagine it with birchbark.   http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/18433/t/Lamination-attempt-2-Ipe-Elm-Sinew.html

Thats quite the Sweet little Bow....not Authentic....but very nicely Designed and built
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 01:48:52 am »

Thats quite the Sweet little Bow....not Authentic....but very nicely Designed and built

as far as i know the backing and recurves are one piece in the original.
Frank from Germany...

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 09:53:23 am »
One one example yes, but there are several listed variations of siyah attachment.