Author Topic: need help identifying a set of older arrows with horn points  (Read 4618 times)

nrwolber

need help identifying a set of older arrows with horn points
« on: September 10, 2008, 06:46:30 pm »
Hello,

I recently obtained a set of 11 arrows. I have not been able to identify where they might be from or when they might have been made. I will do my best to describe them, but I will email photos if requested.

They are very long (81 cm base of point-bottom of nock). They are all split hardwood or conifer wood, maybe POC, darkish-red colored, very straight despite age; I guess they might be dowels. There doesn't appear to be any finish on them. There is no cresting. They are uniform diameter (parallel), about 0.8 cm, but I have not measured each one. There might be some variation. The points are all cow horn (I think), about 4.25 cm long. All have 3 radial fletchings about 9 cm long. They look like typical commercial fletchings, but they are so old I can't tell how they're cut. The self-nocks are simply cut into the wood.

I would have guessed they're commercially made target arrows, but at 32" I'd say they're a bit to long for that! With the horn points Turkish flight arrows would be an alternative theory, but they're still too long and too crudely made. The person I bought them from thought they were originally obtained in the 1950s from a secondhand shop, but she wasn't sure of their origin.

My current hypothesis is that they were made in someone's woodshop, maybe for a beginning archer. The horn points are still a mystery, though!

Thank you for your help,
Nathan

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: need help identifying a set of older arrows with horn points
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 10:13:29 pm »
  I don't have a clue without pictures. I shoot 32" arrows, it's not that long.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

nrwolber

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 08:57:55 pm »
I'll send photos on request; just couldn't figure out how to add photos to post.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 10:36:39 pm »
 Click on additional options, hit browse. Find your picture, hit open. If you have more pictures, just do the same thing for each one up to 6 pictures.
Lakeland, Florida

nrwolber

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 11:55:19 am »
Here are 2 pictures. The other 9 arrows are pretty much the same, but I get the impression there's some variation in shaft diameter. Spine seems light for a long arrow. I collect old arrows, and I have exhausted my reference materials trying to identify them. I suspect they were made at the same time, by the same maker, and like I said in the first post there's always the possibility they were made in someone's workshop.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 02:41:52 pm »
 I'm not certain, but those look like some pictures I've seen of Flight Shooting arrows.
Lakeland, Florida