Author Topic: Bustin' Logs...  (Read 5557 times)

Offline adb

Bustin' Logs...
« on: December 11, 2008, 11:22:39 pm »
Hi, All

Last weekend, I cut some wood. 3 logs of ash, 1 maple, 3 cherry (chokecherry), and 2 apple.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline adb

Re: Bustin' Logs...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 11:24:55 pm »
Tonight, my buddy Mark & I got it split up (well, most of it, anyway).

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 11:26:51 pm »
The ash split the best. They were very nice trees... 8 ft lengths, very straight, few knots, straight grain. You can see the 2 staves in the middle have no sap wood. This was a standing dead tree, and I'm not sure it'll make any bows... the wood is quite dry. I guess time will tell. The staves on the left & right are very nice (they're 8ft long!)... good sapwood.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 11:30:02 pm by adb »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 11:28:54 pm »
 Great looking wood. I gotta ask ,though.. With all the safety gear, you have to work in the Mining or Chemical Industry? And would you want to trade for some of that Choke cherry/
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 11:32:57 pm »
Hey, Mullet

The cherry split OK, but the logs were quite big (for chokecherry), and they had some deep natural splits. Inside the splits, the wood was wet and a bit rotten in spots. I do think, however, that there will be some decent staves. i'm going to bandsaw the rest, so I can get the most out of them. These are all 6-7ft long. The rot is just surface, and the wood underneath is good and hard.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 11:36:59 pm by adb »

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 11:35:46 pm »
Here's the maple staves. The heartwood is a bit punky, but the sapwood is very good. These are 7ft long.

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 11:38:51 pm »
Great looking wood. I gotta ask ,though.. With all the safety gear, you have to work in the Mining or Chemical Industry? And would you want to trade for some of that Choke cherry/
Nah, Mark & I both work in medicine. Safety first! Metal on metal is the worst for your ears, and no sense losing an eye!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 05:46:56 am »
I should be safer myself,just seem to always forget ;).Nice haul,lot of bows there,looks like a few nice character bows in that pile also. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 06:41:52 am »
Yup nice haul, gotta try find me some chokecherry this spring, most of it is twisted and gnarly around here.
Any sign of the Emerald Ash borer up there yet? All Ash in the UP was recently placed under quarintine as
the borer has been found up here now. Looks like the Ash is going to be gone like the Elm :'(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 11:47:06 am »
Nice haul. Did some cuttin and splittin last weekend myself. I just always forget to take pics. I cut 1 black locust tree and got 8 - 7' staves. It had a couple of borers in it, but a little pesticide took care of 'em. This was the first BL I've cut for staves....but it won't be the last. Man that stuff splits easy compared to Osage. Want to trade some BL for some choke cherry?

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 12:35:38 pm »
That's some nice looking wood you've got there adam,

congrats,

now the fun part,  waiting to for wood to season....
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 12:47:36 pm »
Good lookin haul! Reminds me of last haul I made, need to get back out there and do it again - good for the soul :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.