Author Topic: nock protection?  (Read 5207 times)

Offline paulc

nock protection?
« on: December 11, 2008, 05:43:29 pm »
What is the advantage of putting horn or bone or whatever on the tips of a bow?  Is it just to protect the string, or does that have nothing to do with it?  I just remembered my hog feet that are sitting on the car port roof (from two weeks ago) and I am not sure I want to handle them now...:-)

TIA, Paul

Offline Kegan

Re: nock protection?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 07:00:44 pm »
A more rounded nock prevents wear, as well as smooth edges. It also helps keep the string on narrower tips, and can protect the wood from the string on weaker woods. They are also very aesthetically appealing, which is why most of us use the though :).

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 07:07:39 pm »
Some woods like yew and juniper probably need tip overlays to protect the softer wood from the string. Most other woods don't really need them but they are nice looking on the bow's tips.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 11:11:45 pm »
 You can whittle the tips down real narrow and put bone or horn on because it is stronger. And you can cut tip weight at the same time. Also if you use Fast Flight or equivalent string it will eventually cut you tip off without the extra protection.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 11:28:37 pm »
Durability.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 05:50:07 am »
Durability is why I do it also,plus I like the look. I didn't do it for years and had no real
problems so either way is fine. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 12:16:22 pm »
They look nice. That said I've made lots of bows without overlays without any problems - and I use FF strings exclusively.
Gordon

Offline Jesse

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 03:57:30 pm »
Gordon do you pad or serve the loops or just use a regular flemish string. I have herd ff is very abraisive and will cut off the tips eventually. Ive never seen it happen but ive only been using ff for a short time.                Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 04:57:22 pm »
Jesse,

I use 16 strands for the main string and 18 for the loops - so they are padded a little. If you are going to use self-nocks with FF strings you need to make sure you nicely round down and smooth the 'shoulders' of your nocks. The shoulder is that point where the grove intersects the face of the bow nearest the handle. If there are any sharp points there, FF will catch on them and potentially slice right right down the nock's edge. I also burnish the groves and shoulders with a steel rod for extra protection.

For softer woods like yew, juniper, cascarra and hazelnut, you're better off using overlays. But for harder woods like osage, hickory, ipe, and maple you really don't need them if you do what I described above.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 05:01:12 pm by Gordon »
Gordon