Author Topic: Duck River Cache  (Read 7002 times)

Dingleberry

Duck River Cache
« on: September 16, 2008, 11:36:14 am »
Hey all,    A friend of mine told me about this archelogical find in TN. and boy is it incredible.  Some of you have probably seen or heard of this but to those who haven't take a look:

http://lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-pages/2008februaryduckrivercachepage1.htm

Those long blades are pretty wicked. >:D  Very impressive.

Offline Woodland Roamer

Re: Duck River Cache
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 11:57:19 am »
WOW! Thanks for posting this. If I ever found anything like that I would fall over dead! Those pieces are amazing.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 01:18:18 pm »
Are those swords made out of flint?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline RG

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 10:38:20 pm »
Thanks for posting Sir I have a farm in Hickman County Tn. wich is not to far from there When I bought the place it has a large river bottom that is cultivated
each year and lots of people use to come by and asked if they could look for arrow heads  I decided not to let anyone look and the farmer started no till
planting Several people told me of cone shaped flint objects they had found and they said they were placed on the forehead of the dead when the buried them
Not sure how true that is. My wife and I have found a few points when out walking the farm Thanks again for posting I had not heard of this find

Ron

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 10:46:13 pm »
 David , if I'm thinking right ,didn't all that rock everybody was beating on come from King Ron's? And I think it was Dover Flint. Those are impressive knappers that made those points if it's the same stuff.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 08:21:09 am »
I don't think it was Dover,but it did come from Hickman co. near the Duck river.King Ron
[Knothead] has a farm near there. Cool stuff. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 02:59:07 pm »
We will have to go and invade Ron's farm when the Classic comes arround. I bet we can find some really good stuff! Is there a stream running through his farm? If so I bet we could find some nice stuff in the stream or in the fields. Might have to heat treat it though. You all up for it? Think Ron would go for it?  ;)
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill