Author Topic: I finally ate the raccoon.....  (Read 14322 times)

Offline billy

I finally ate the raccoon.....
« on: September 16, 2008, 04:49:37 pm »
...and it was great!  I wasn't really sure how the 'coon was gonna taste since I've never eaten one before, but I cleaned off as much of the fat as I could just as ya'll said.  I had already removed all the glands.  I marinated it overnite in Dale's marinade and a little bit of Allegro.  I then simmered the meat in a pot of water for about 30-40 minutes so it cooked real slow.  the meat wasn't greasy at all and was surprisingly good.  Makes me look at fresh roadkill in a whole different way... "Damn, woman...stop the car!  That raccoon is fresh!  We're gonna be eating good tonite..."   :)
Marietta, Georgia

Papa Matt

Re: I finally ate the raccoon.....
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 05:28:27 pm »
Heck yeah!  Would you say it tastes similar to squirrel or different?

~~Papa Matt

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 05:37:35 pm »
Like a fine veal! a FINE veal!!!  ;)
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 08:53:47 pm »
  Billy, try slow cooking one in a smoker style grill till the meat is ready to fall off the bone. Yummy.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cracker

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 09:35:56 pm »
What Mullet said. I like mine with bbq  sauce and sweet taters cooked in the same smoker.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 07:56:29 am »
I knew you would like it billy,I think it taste a lot like vineson.Good stuff.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 02:33:33 pm »
I only ate coon once and it was in a BBQ sandwich. I thought it was pretty good.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 09:52:06 pm »
 i was thinking about smoking a squerrel i hit the other day- thats awesome though. So it really is worth cooking them up? i drilled a racoon in my deer stand last year, but i only did it because it ran up my tree, f-in crazy. i was pretty sure it had rabis, i just laid it by a bush. dont take me wrong, i dont kill just to kill, but i really wasnt sure about racoon, this has concluded my thoughtsthough ;D
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 12:41:31 am »
If you think it had rabbis then DON'T eat it! Dont take the risk. Getting the shots is really painfull and foaming at the mouth is not fun either!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline billy

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 05:26:49 pm »
The 'coon tasted kinda like venison, but there were some marbled areas with a little bit of fat that I couldn't remove.  When I ate the marbled part...oh man.....it was damn good!  It had a very mild flavor and the little bit of fat in it gave it a very rich, tasty flavor.  IF ya'll ever get the chance, I think you should try it.  If meat is cooked and prepared well almost ANYTHING is edible.  I once had mountain lion at the Glass Buttes knap-in several years ago...it was by far one of the sweetest and most delicious meats I've ever eaten.  Makes me look at house cats in a whole different way......  "Here kitty....kitty...kitty....just sit still so I can SLAM THIS STONE-TIPPED ARROW THRU YOUR BODY!!!"
Marietta, Georgia

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 08:52:44 pm »
Uhm! I think Pat is being given a run for his money here!!!   :o :o :o ;D

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 01:35:43 am »
haha, i heard cat is delecious, too. racoons.. there tough. i shot mine twice with muzzy deer broadheads, made to take down the biggest bucks, but it took two arrows to kill the beast (mind you, i still had to track it to the bush is stuck itself in) both shots were fatal shots, too (the first was a neckshot, i beleive i missed any vital pipes though, and the second was in the ribcage) so cat was pretty good too? The everglades have alot of cats, my grampa got one a few yeas back and said it was delecious, im sue they are too! Do you think you could se the tooth for an arrowtip? probibly great for tree rats ;D
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 04:35:30 am »

Billy, supposedly, the mountain men preferred mountain lion over all other meats.
Glad you enjoyed the Coon meat.  I might try it sometime.  They are a pain in the arse down here in Fla.  They are like armadillos, here just mobile speed bumps, and all over the place.  Lot of rabies down here though.  Don't know as I would bother with a fresh road kill.  You can get rabies by breathing in the virus also.  There were Spelunkers, (cave explorers ) who came down with Rabies, and they had not been bitten, and they realized they had been in area loaded with bats, which are known to carry Rabies now and then.  They did air quality samples, and found the Virus I guess.  At any rate, if you suspect that any animal is infected with anything, don't touch it.  I read in USA today, where a 37 year old Park Ranger, was checking on a Mountain Lion, that he had caught, and collared.  It's Collar device sent a mortality signal, since it hadn't moved in over 24 hrs.  When he found it, it had some blood coming from it's nose.  So he decided to take it home and perform an autopsy, to see why it died.  She had kittens, but he couldn't find them, or any sign of them.  He thought maybe a big male had killed it, but the body was intact, with no battle marks.  They think that when opened the cat up, he inhaled some of the gases.  Well he died a few days later of Pneumonic Plague.  All who had come in contact with him were given antibotics.  It is really nasty stuff.  Some people even die when given antibotics.  It is what killed the masses in medival times.  It's not just Brucelloses, or Chronic Wasting disease you have to watch out for.

WAyne

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 11:51:43 am »
my grandmother use to cook coon using a worcestershire (sp?) sauce and brown sugar glaze.  damn fine meal, until my cousin bit into a .22 bullet one time.  at least it slowed him down.  possum on the other hand is not a good meal.  took me three days to get the taste out of my mouth the last time i had it.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline PeteC

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 11:24:07 pm »
Heck yea,coon is good eatin',especially bar- b- cued.I agree on the possum.I used to trap years ago,and the buyer would pay 50 cents a pelt for possum,and I caught quite a few in my 'coon sets,so,being simple to skin,I'd keep em to sell.But man ,those critters STINK.I never could bring myself to eat one,rememberin' the stench.   God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas