Author Topic: I finally ate the raccoon.....  (Read 14323 times)

Offline stickbender

Re: I finally ate the raccoon.....
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 01:07:20 am »

My Great Grandfather used to eat them.  My Grandfather, said he never could eat one.  He said his dad would boil them, and then bake them with sweet potatoes.  There was a guy in Louisiana, that was wanting to farm raise them.  they make neat pets,......sort of.  My Grandfather used to eat Gopher tortoise, but it was only until he had to clean it himself, that he quit eating them.  He said it almost made him sick, and ended up throwing it away.  He used to have a guy who worked for him that would clean them for him.
Now soft shell turtle is good eating.

Wayne

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 11:05:23 pm »
well, since the topic is on water stuff, you ever try frog? i killed quite a few but never knew how to skin em, or what parts to eat or stay away from. possum... my cousin killed one with a broomstick. fat, ugly, smelly- you all know probibly better than i do. I always thought turtle would be good, never had the chance or knolege to try that either, stickbender. -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 11:13:56 pm »
Snapping turtle is good eating. To me it is alot like gator. We always dredge it and fry it.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline stickbender

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 11:36:15 pm »

Jimmy, Frog legs are great.  you can eat just about any part of it.  The hind legs, are the biggest part.  Some of the big ol Bull frogs, have some nice sized fore arms.  The leopard frogs, and or spring frogs are good also.  Fry em with some cajun seasoned batter, and you have a great meal. 

Wayne

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 09:14:28 pm »
 yeah, we got alot of leapord frogs up here, slayed em this year though, you'd step yard or two and half a dozen would flop to the pond ;D frog leather, now my minds racing ;) thanks for the info, come spring ill go out frogging, i got a little 15 pounder i can use too. -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.