Author Topic: Buying snake skins  (Read 13973 times)

Offline Aries

Buying snake skins
« on: September 22, 2008, 12:10:24 am »
Does any one know of a good site to buy bull snake, or rattler skins for bow backing? there just isn't enough around here to fill my plate at the moment lol.   

Any other random snake skins you can think of that would make some interesting patterns on bows, or Pics?

And how do bullsnake skins compare to Rattler hides in appearence, and practicality in your opinion?

Im kind of just pricing around on the hides, tryin to get an idea of how much i'm lookin at investin,    Thanks guys    Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Buying snake skins
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 12:43:46 am »
Try Mike Yancey at Pinehollowlongbows.com

I like to deal with Him....and He has fair prices.....  Bull Snake is better for one reason...they are normally long enough to do one Bow per Skin....I dont buy Skins....I collect Roadkills....dont beleive in killing them for a Skin.... unless they invade my work area or living space...I leave them alone
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Young Viking

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 01:58:52 am »
Yeah, killing a snake(because there are few of them) all in all is wrong.. Buying them is another, im going to ask my friend who tailore boots with snake skin where he gets his skins and get back to you! I hope hes still around here, but he would be then man to ask..
Has anyone ever heard or maybe think its profitable to raise snakes and to sell their skins???
Im raising rabbits this spring or winter if i can find a good breed, what about rabbit fur to protect limbs??
Id really liek to hear what you guys have to say about those questions!
Could be rewarding creatures to raise, I hope anyway.
-Young Viking ;D

Young Viking

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 02:04:23 am »
O yeah! i found a huge black snake near my house i thought id post the pic just because were talking about large snakes, this sucker was about 4 and a half feet long!
I attached the picture...(used my camera phone)
-Young Viking ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 09:11:32 am »
I'm with El Destructo on using roadkill of any kind and don't kill them unless venomous and posing a threat. I've used Moscow Hide and Fur with good results. Supply can vary. They are paid advertisers in the classified section of the mag. If Pinehollow doesn't have it then give them a try.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 09:53:58 am »
I like Pine Hollow also.  Real easy to deal with, good prices and an advertiser.  As for killing them...... I don't have a problem with it since I eat it.  The snakes you buy were killed for their skins. May or may not have been eaten.  Road kills are the best if they aren't torn up too bad.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 11:02:52 am »
I buy skins from farmed snakes. Seems OK. We don't have many snakes this far north... too cold!

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 11:24:35 am »
Young viking  I raised San juan rabbits for many years.  The look like a wild rabbit, just bigger.  They breed year round and yield big litters.  I had two does that would have 12 babies every single time.  I normally kept two bucks and 10 does going, so at any given time I would have around 100 rabbits.  If you are raising to sell, ask the buyer what they want it for.  Not necessarily to be nosy.  I had a man come in wanting one, I did not ask and he did not offer any reason, so I sold him one of the old buck that was too old to breed.  The next day he came back cussing and raising cane.  I asked what was wrong and he told me.  He bought the rabbit to trin beagle puppies with.  He had a fenced in lot where he would turn the rabbit loose in with the puppies and let them chase it.  Well, he turned them loose and teh 10 pound 6 year old San Juan ran as hard as he could, for about twenty five yards or so, then turned and proceeded to whip the crap out of the puppies.  I could not help but to laugh.

Offline Aries

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 10:01:13 pm »
I'm with El Destructo on using roadkill of any kind and don't kill them unless venomous and posing a threat. I've used Moscow Hide and Fur with good results. Supply can vary. They are paid advertisers in the classified section of the mag. If Pinehollow doesn't have it then give them a try.

Tracy

Ya. the only ones i got are some road kill bull's, but they were both over 5', the bigger was over 6'...   but it is startin to get cool and we arent seen as many around here lately, but i have a bunch of ppl on the look out lol   Ty
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 10:05:38 pm »
heck i have only sen one snake all year,small garden snake maybe 2 ft long. if my wife wouldnt have pointed it out,i would have missed it all together.
you folks down south got it made when it comes to getting snake skins,all we got up here really are those garden snakes and timber rattlers,
altough i have never seen one and i have lived here all my life and i spend alot of time in the woods
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 10:31:15 pm »
I've gotten some from Gary Davis of Rattlestick Bows in MI.  He's a great guy and his skins are matched and priced fairly. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 10:46:47 pm »
I have a few snakes as pets It would be alot of work and time trying to raise just for skins.I also use PineHollow I bought some skins from a site that doesn't advertise in the P.A. and I honestly believe from having snakes of my own , that the skins I purchased were sheds Copperhead very ,very light could practically see through .When put on bow almost became opaque.Wife had a white rabbit that was litter box trained let it run around in the house. It would stand up on its hind feet and whip the fire out of the cat and dog.It literally boxed with its front paws.And remember when dealing with snakes it is not a matter of if, but when you get bit.
                                          Dennis

« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 10:55:25 pm by kayakfisher »
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 10:53:44 pm »
  I like Mike Yancey myself. Saying you buy skins instead of killing them kinda sounds like a PETA person eating at McDonalds. I don't think I've ever heard of a rattlesnake,Bullsnake farm before. I'll swap a big Eastern Rattler skin for a Bull snake skin. We don't have them here.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 10:54:55 pm »
Tim.....I live in the South....and I have not seen a Live Rattler all year except the one with all the Babies...seen a few Prairie Racers and Coachwhips...but that is it..
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Aries

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 11:01:08 pm »
Here is a pic of the last bull snake I got. This one was Rally dark, and almost red. 

~Abraham Maslow