Author Topic: a novice bow  (Read 3761 times)

devilfishsix

a novice bow
« on: October 16, 2008, 06:42:20 pm »
Hi all im totaly new to bow making, but it is something iv always wanted to do. In my local area i have an abundance of sweet chestnut and hazel are either good for a basic long bow? and is there a nice simple bow to be built by a total novice with not great carpentry skills? please all replys are welcomed. And again hi to all >:D

whitewoodshunter

Re: a novice bow
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 06:54:16 pm »
Buy a 1 by 2 red oak board and make a "d " style bow. Make the bow 70 to 72 inches long and keep it about 1 3/4 inches wide fading to 1/2 inch tips.You can buy red oak at home depot for around 6 dollars.

devilfishsix

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 07:01:54 pm »
ok ty for that i shouls of mentioned i live in france lol. i am surounded by hazel and sweetchestnut is this any good for a bow maybe longbow style?

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 07:28:55 pm »
Sry. the hazell will make a good bow. But keep it long and wide to start with.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 07:31:53 pm »
Hazel makes a good bow. Look under the "Build Along" thread and at the top Gordon has a build along with a hazel bow. I have a hazel stave but haven't built a bow with it yet so I have no experiences.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dismount

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 08:59:59 pm »
DFsix, Are there any lumber retailers in your area at all that might carry hardwood boards? {just out of curiosity}    Dismount

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 09:45:31 pm »
Hazelnut will make a fine bow and is easy wood to work.
Gordon

devilfishsix

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 07:59:41 am »
i have a lumber mill on my back door 300yds away they use oak alot in france they even burn it lol, which to an english man sounds crazy. i am at current sourcing a peice of 7ft 4 inch thick hazel or sweet chestnut i have a lot to chose from i guess i want it with as few of growing branches as possible to keep the knots down. im off to look at gordons hazel bow build along i hope i get this right lol id like to make a beautiful bow practise makes perfect i guess lol
ty again

devilfishsix

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 10:16:37 am »
Do u think either of these peices is suitable for a bow? One is hazel the golden peice and the other is white beam i think it was tall and straight so i used some, also what sort of pull would they make? Hope some one can answer these questions ty.
Oh yes how do i measure pull?

[attachment deleted by admin]