Author Topic: Yew selfbow (full draw page 3)  (Read 14263 times)

Offline adb

Re: Yew selfbow
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2008, 03:11:56 pm »
Hey, Gordon

I started with 1 1/2" at the middle, extending for 10" on each side of center, and then a continuous taper to 1/2" tips. I tried to keep the thickness to the 7/8 rule of the BLBS, where the bow ends up not quite as thick as it is wide. D section profile, of course! This is the only way to go with yew. However, having said that, I'm thinking of making a yew flat bow, with wider limbs, a built up riser, and more elliptical tiller. I have a naturally reflexed stave, and I want to try something other than a traditional ELB. I'm by no means an expert with yew. Someone like Marc St Louis would be a good person to ask. Good luck. I really enjoyed making the yew bow, it's amazing wood.

Offline adb

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2008, 03:34:37 pm »
Hey, Manny

I have a proposition for you. I think a lot of people on this forum are really tired of listening to us argue and bicker. I think it detracts from the true intent of this forum, which is the sharing of bow making information. It's obvious we don't like each other, but that happens in this world. Maybe, in the interests of peace and harmony, we could just avoid each other form now on? Your comments don't seem genuine or positive, and your sarcasim about "being just a beginner" is unappreciated. I've tried, through PMs, to bury the hatchet with you, but it hasn't worked. What do you say we just give each other a wide berth? I'll avoid comments on your threads if you avoid mine. Thanks.

To the Mods & Admins: this is an attempt at peace, not continued controversy. I hope you let it stand.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2008, 06:33:46 pm »
"Picture perfect" tiller is fine for pictures (LOL), adb, but the proof is how it shoots. Personally, there's a tad too much bending in the handle to suit me and may account for some of the hand shock you are feeling. Could be what Ryan said too. Anyway, it shoots fine. It's a wrap! Well done. Peace is a good, also!  :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline adb

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2008, 07:07:37 pm »
Hey, George

With proper brace height, there is no hand shock when shooting this bow. I'm happy with the way it is. For my first self yew, and a character stave to boot, I'm pretty pleased.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2008, 07:25:24 pm »

I'm pretty pleased.

And that is all that matters, That your pleased :) Once again nice bow.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2008, 07:53:14 pm »
Yes, adb, that is all that matters! Enjoy your beautiful bow. :) Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2008, 04:29:08 am »

What my eyes see is too much bend in the middle and too strait limbs, all in all not a plesant arc,..again, just in my eyes.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 11:51:53 am by Calendargirl »
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2008, 10:34:46 am »
Fine looking bow adb,love the tips and finish work.If it shoots good for you that is the main thing.
Nice job. :) Right Jawge,Peace is a good thing. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2008, 10:55:50 am »
Beautiful bow adb. I'm building up a respect for yew. I've only made a few yew bows but will continue to and put them through their paces. I pretty hard on my bows so they have to be able to take it.
 I love the way you have done the tips. Has the appearance of typical horn nocks without the headaches of making horn nocks.  ;)
   I build bows for myself. I appreciate comments and suggestions from others and apply them when necessary but if I like it, that is how it stays. 8)
   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2008, 12:26:51 pm »
Peace is always good, Pappy. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2008, 01:08:26 am »
 in the least, beautiful. im sure the antlers were hell to get on, but the bow is something to be proud of. -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline adb

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2008, 08:42:50 pm »
Hey, Everyone

Since posting this bow a month ago, I've tweaked it a bit. Besides putting a couple hundred arrows through it, I re-tillered the top limb just a hair. I got the middle of the top limb bending just a bit more.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
Re: Yew selfbow (full draw page 3)
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2008, 08:52:09 pm »
well, the tiller looks great- actully, mine has alot of bend in the handle /lower limb, i see yours is similar-good work man -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline adb

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2008, 08:56:04 pm »
My intention was to make a true ELB... bending "full compass" through the handle. It wasn't a perfect piece of yew, and I wanted to make sure everything was working, to avoid over stress.

Offline John K

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2008, 09:03:14 pm »
Looks real good to me Adam, i love the full draw pic !
The only way to fail is to never start !