Author Topic: 1000 arrow shafts  (Read 8131 times)

Offline markinengland

1000 arrow shafts
« on: September 22, 2008, 02:20:56 pm »
I got my order of 200 1.3metre - 51 inch shafts (did I ever mention that I like long arrows?) and another of 1000 840mm - 33 inch shafts. All were in Chinese Arrow Bamboo. The supplier is no longer supplying in this banboo as they are too difficult to cut and make commercially.

Ever wondered what 1000 shafts look like? The photo was taken while the wife was away!

I sorted the 33 inch shafts for weight and then for spine. There was a basic connection between weight and spine though some light arrows were also suprisingly stiff. As you can see there were some a few low spine arrows, with the majority coming in between 30-35# and 60-65# which is about right. The final bunch on the right were 65-70 and have since been sorted up to 120lb! These heavy spine arrows I have not weight sorted.

What became very obvious as I spined these heavy arrows was why spine is less important for heavy bows. On the spine meter there is quite a significant difference in deflection between an 30-35# arrow and a 35-40# one. On the stiff arrows there is very little difference in deflection between a 100lb bow and a 110lb bow. Very very little difference and the heavier the bow the less difference it makes. Once an arrow is stiff enough it will work well with any bow between 100lb and 150lb.

Anyway, I know a numer of people here expressed an interest so if you want something in particular let me know via markdesignhill@aol.com. I'll put a batch on ebay and see how they go and hope you get what you want. Otherwise I plan on selling via shoots and events I attend here in England.

Best wishes to all.

Mark in England
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 01:20:20 am by markinengland »

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: 1000 arrow shafts
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 05:00:47 pm »
I guess you got enough shafts to make it to the end of the year al least.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline madcrowjr

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 05:28:10 pm »
That is a bunch of shafts.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 05:37:59 pm »
Yes, I think I have enough shafts for now!  ;D
I haven't given up on shoot shafts though. I had a bit of a sort out and reckon I must have about 100 dogwood shafts and maybe 50 hazel plus the 20 or so ash shoot shafts I am working on.
I really must do an arrow photo shoot.
Maybe there is a little danger of me counting my arrows late into the night!  ;D
Mark in England

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 07:37:56 pm »
heck with that many shafts you dont even have to wory about going and picking them up after you shoot.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 10:00:27 pm »
oh my god :o
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline jiao

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 10:54:11 am »
i am chinese in north china, i want to know  the bamboo particular  producing are, botanical name, price , thanks

Offline markinengland

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 02:20:38 pm »
Jiao,
The botanical name is Fargesia spathacea. I believe that this bamboo grows in the more mountainous regions of China. It is wdiespread and is the bamboo favoured by your ancestros for arrows and also by Pandas for their food!
Email me at markdesignhill@aol.com if you want to discuss any further information.
Mark in England

Offline markinengland

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 05:57:25 pm »
A little update. I just got a delivery of 5000 tonkin shafts from my Chinese supplier. They are sorted by diameter between 7mm to 9mm. Hidden within the shipments are some that the supplier has spine tested with a machine he made following plans and photoes I sent him. I'll be checking the shafts he spine rated to see if his machine is set up correctly.
I'll need to spine rate these 5000 before I sell them but if the supplier has got it right he may shortly be selling spine rated shafts on ebay.
Mark in England

Offline Cromm

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 06:54:48 pm »
Are they as nice as the first lot of bamboo you had???
Also did you get my email???
Thanks for your time..
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.