Author Topic: Knapp a long Clovis  (Read 8198 times)

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: Knapp a long Clovis
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 11:33:05 am »
Sheree Matt, If i have time I'll do one up this after noon after work.
Are you interested in normal presher flaking notches or punch notching, if i have enough time i could do both.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline DanaM

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 12:34:28 pm »
Both ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Papa Matt

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 12:38:56 pm »
Yeah, really both would be superkill, but whatever you have time for would be great. Cause it would be nice to see a more experienced knapper do notches with pressure his way, and at the same time, I don't know anything about punching them so would like to see that too

We appreciate it, whatever you do!

~~Matt

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 07:03:31 pm »
D. i don't know how toy make a Folsom, i been told to shoot a long 1st flute than hit the 2nd flute hard enough to split the point than put i point on it, but I've never tyred it.

Try bi-polar flaking. Set up a nipple at both ends then find and anvil of bone or horn. Place one nipple on the horn and hit the other one. It will drive the flake from one end to the other. Repeat for other side!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 08:00:35 pm »
Pictures Tiller Pictures :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 08:56:11 pm »
Bi-polar flaking? Never heard of it. David, now there's somthing to consider - here we go ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 12:23:14 am »
I tried it out the other night and it worked great! Put a nipple on each end. Place the nipple on one end against a bone or wood anvle and smack the other nipple. The flute channels went from one end to the other. Then do same for other side. Then you just touch it up to the final shape and voila! A Folsom point! I think this was just the next step in the evolution of the Clovis.

Next project for me is a a Baidarka kayak from the Aleutians see www.skinboats.org . This will keep me busy through the winter. Will be getting the book soon that tells me how to make it and I will be building it in my garage. Man I am a glutton for punishment!!!!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 08:06:59 pm by D. Tiller »
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 08:18:20 am »
Nice build along Jesse...point turned out really well!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2008, 03:48:40 pm »
Nice point !  The second flute is always tougher. Good work     Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington