Author Topic: hickory long bow  (Read 4082 times)

Offline backwoods

hickory long bow
« on: September 23, 2008, 10:36:39 pm »
hey guys i am new at this so any help would be great. i switched over to traditional archery 2 years ago and love it. i got the surge to build my own bow i went to the lumber yard and got a kild dried hickory board riped it to 1.5 inchs it is 62 inchs long . i forgot to say it is a planesawed board. will i need to back it with rawhide or something else or not at all.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: hickory long bow
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 11:36:03 pm »
If you are new to bow building, don't back the bow.  Make it a full 62" long and don't make it too powerful.  Hickory boards work well for bows whether plain sawn or quatersawn.  If the grain runs from one end of the bow to the other, then you're in business.  A few dips and wiggles in the grain won't hurt....hickory is pretty tough.

There is a lot of good info in this forum.  Read up on as much as you can before you start. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 12:58:44 am »
I think beginners should back their first efforts for piece of mind and safety. On boards, linen, silk and burlap give added protection. Hickory is a good board bow wood. My site has stuff. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline backwoods

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 07:24:35 pm »
thanks for the help . i am going to start laying out the bow this week an hopefuly start cuting.

Arthur Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 09:59:12 pm »
Hickory is supposed to be really good with tension on the back of the bow. However, I have simply wood glued any fabric onto the back, for added protection.

My last board bow cracked, as opposed to blowing up because of the backing. I like to go wide and long with my board bows, the width to reduce stress and increase bendiness.

Good Luck!  ;)

Oh, I just saw "long bow", so I guess you don't want to go wide.

Offline backwoods

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 06:58:28 pm »
thanks for all the help. my first bow turned out good. i was soooting for 55 lb at 27 in but i got in a hurry at the end and caused a hinge and had to remove to much wood but it still turned out 45lb at 27in. i backed it with burlap. if i can find out how i will post some pics. thanks again for all your help you are all great

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 09:05:40 pm »
I've only backed one, used some camo fabric from Wally World.   Looks pretty nice and has not raised any slivers yet.  I wish i had heat treated the belly before I did anything else, like oiling.  Probably too late now. 

(It was that or Green Bay Packers flannel or some stuff with little bunny rabbits on it)
piper

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 09:12:45 pm »
i personnaly would have went for the bunny pattern,  you know for medicine

ok maybe its just cause bunnies are cute :P

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline backwoods

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 10:33:54 pm »
islandpiper your backing looks great. mine has some fray on some of the edges. how did you keep yours from fraying? what do you use to seal yours with?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 10:49:53 pm »
B.W.....how many coats of Finish have you applied?? If you would apply another coat....and sand the edges that are fraying a little...sand them on an angle from the Back to the edge....and then coat it again....do this till the Fray is gone...when I back with Fabric...I always do this sand.... seal....sand ....seal...till it covers the Fabric really good and there are no edges to fray

And Piper......Nice Bow......but I would have went for the Packers!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 11:43:40 pm »
I glued the fabric down with one of the new Titebonds and left it over hanging on all edges.......I think TB 2, i'd have to look at the bottle.  Then, rubbed it full of more TB.......dried it, then, trimmed it back with a sharp bench knife, lightly sanded with 120 grit and more TB.......dried it and lightly sanded, then finished it with: 

A mixture of  Poly spar varnish, boiled linseed oil, a bit of real turps and a few drops of Olde English furniture scratch remover, the dark one.     Shake this up, smear on till you are tired of it.   Wipe off.  repeat after a few hours, etc.  WARNING:  any cloth or paper towel you use in this must go outside and be dropped into a bucket of water.  If you leave a rag with this on it wadded up on the bench  it may self-combust.  No Joke. 

piper