Author Topic: Sycamore as bow wood????  (Read 18879 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Sycamore as bow wood????
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 08:01:50 am »
Tell Ya what.....I'll trade you the Cottonwoof Pollen for the Sycamore!!!! If they weren't my Shade Trees in the back yard.....I'd cut them all down.....my Yard is white and about 4 inches deep every spring from the Cotton.....what a mess....and the Hay Fever is terrible.....ain't it!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Papa Matt

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 09:17:53 am »
When you say "quartersawn", exactly what do you mean?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 09:22:49 am »
Papa, it's the way that the board is sawn compared to the orientation of the grain in the log. Quartersawing often brings out nice grain patterns in wood.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Papa Matt

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 09:25:40 am »
I see...so that's why Destructo said his were backed, because there was no single ring followed for the back?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 01:01:56 pm »
There usually isn't on a board bow. Safe unbacked bows can be made from boards as long as there isn't any major grain runout-a board sawed so that the rings are running through the board vertically is usually safer thatn a plain-sawn one.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 09:33:18 pm »
I see...so that's why Destructo said his were backed, because there was no single ring followed for the back?

Matt....on some of my Bows that I have used Sycamore Staves....I have decrowned them to make 2 1/2" wide Hupa Paddle Bows and either Rawhided or Sinew Backed them....or I buy Quartersawn Air Dried Lumber from Bell Forest Products in Ishpeming Michigan

Hillbilly is correct too....Quartersawn brings out the best looking grain in some woods.... and Board Bows are not all that bad....I like them from Air Dried or Green Lumber.....I am not too hot on Kiln Dried....but have made some nice Bows from it too..
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome