Author Topic: Dad...Goin trad.  (Read 7669 times)

Offline huntertrapper

Re: Dad...Goin trad.
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 10:14:46 am »
yep does feel good knowin i know more about somethin than he does!  :D thanks hawk me and my dad both love it out in wyoming... Papa Matt- i can tell ya i was excited when he said he was gonna start shootin recurve, and i asked if he was still gonna shoot aluminum arrows and then he said nope, wood! lol ;D
Modern Day Tramp

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 10:33:07 am »
this is DAD!-watching my son sort of leaned me back to start with a recurve-I,ve always shot bare fingers and instinctive so hopefully it won,t be much of a transition but one that I,m looking forward to.Were headed to the Denton Hill traditional rendezvous in northeast Pa. this weekend and I,m pumped.Iwant to mention I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Huston afew weeks ago while in Wyoming.Him and his wife Stacey are the nicest down to earth people and it was my pleasure to spend some time with them and swap some stories.(thanks again Mike and Stacey)Lloyd Beere
Modern Day Tramp

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 01:12:49 pm »
How you fixed for arrows... contrary to certain opinions I have been building and shooting primitive arrows for twenty plus years and would gladly build you some if  you would use them , sometimes they even fly straight ...LOL . Keep your chin to the wind brother... Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline david w.

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 01:18:42 pm »
Thats great!   My dad doesnt even shoot bows.  He says if it doesnt go boom it isnt fun. :)

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 04:13:57 pm »
you never know david he might someday want to shoot, my dad was never into it but now after shooting a longbow once and just seeing me do it hes into it, hes thinkin about tryin to make a bow himself too..
Modern Day Tramp

Offline PeteC

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 09:26:48 pm »
That is awesome Hunter,My Dad gave me my first bow and arrows,(an ash selfbow ,that was his as a kid).when I was 6 years old.I still have that old bow ,it's probably pushing 80 years old.That gift started a fire in me that has burned now 45 years,exactly, as a matter of fact,I turned 51 today.I have built my children bows and arrows,and it's truly a labor of love.My son is'nt into much,but he will shoot with me.My daughter likes to go with us huntin' tilapia. But my son-in law is" hooked".I've helped him build 3 bows,2 flatbows,and the last one a 48 " D-bow,which he 's planning on huntin' with this fall.I enjoy reading stories like yours,and a lot of the fellas on this site. Thanks,    God Bless ,   PeteC
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 10:40:15 pm »
Happy birthday to you sir! and thats great you spend time and do things with bows for your youngins and there youngins... have fun
Modern Day Tramp

Offline tomwatson

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 01:22:24 pm »
That's great news. I think most of us start out Trad before going Primitive. I have not made my first bow yet, so my glassed longbow will have to do this season. I am planning on starting on my first Hickory Flatbow as soon as I get back from deer camp. I am sure your dad will get hooked and will want to make his own bow sooner or later.

Tom

Offline Little John

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 11:19:35 pm »
Way cool and have lots of fun.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 09:11:18 pm »
thats awesme, if my dad shot more often, i think he might go to a recurve- but i must say, primitive bowmaking really is something to be proud of. cool story -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.