Author Topic: Bending BBO  (Read 3206 times)

Offline possum

Bending BBO
« on: September 25, 2008, 03:20:21 pm »
I have a bamboo backed osage stave I'm beginning to tiller.  It has a good reflex but one limb doesn't match the other toward the tip. About 8-10" from the tip it deflexes slightly.  Is it safe to heat and bend it to match the other limb?  And if it is should I use a heat gun or steam?  It is glued on with TBII.

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bending BBO
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 03:42:57 pm »
If the glue reaches 150deg(F) it will let go. Before glue up would be the time for that kind of repair. I would just go with it and try to visualize even bending with the tips of both limbs as I tiller.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline possum

Re: Bending BBO
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 09:06:17 pm »
The osage was straight when I glued it up and I clamped it down into some reflex.  I guess I missed that end when I was looking her over. :-[  All the reflex was induced in the gluing operation.  One part didn't bend... oh well.  We'll see what we can do with it.  Thanks.

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC