Author Topic: Knapp-a-long Notches  (Read 5918 times)

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Knapp-a-long Notches
« on: September 25, 2008, 12:32:13 pm »
OK guys this is how i Do my normal presher notches. The Rock is FlintRidge Flint, and the point type is a basic DoveTail.
Pic1- Preform Before any notching is done.
Pic2-Abrading the base of the point.
Pic3- Shooting my thinning notch flacks with a normal copper presher flaker.
Pic4- Abrading notch area for the thinning flock for opposite side.
Pic5-Point after all 4 notch thinning flacks are removed.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mililani Hawaii

Offline leapingbare

Re: Knapp-a-long Notches
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 12:37:13 pm »
Pic6- I use a thin flack to get in there and remove my thin edges (abrading inside the notch)
Pic7- This is the tool i use to get in there and remove my flacks.
Pic8- Digging out the notch.
Pic9- Notches compleat (note. i take 1 flack from 1 notch and than i switch to the other notch to remove a flack so that 1 notch is never deeper than the other.)
Pic 10-11- Finished DoveTail

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mililani Hawaii

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 12:39:42 pm »
If i wonted deep notches i would punch the out, but thats another demo.
Another thing to consider, when your using the flat copper tool. apply alot of presher and try to shoot longer flacks, this will thin the rock ahead of the notch and allow you to get your notches deeper.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 12:44:42 pm by leapingbare »
Mililani Hawaii

Papa Matt

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 12:57:13 pm »
Man, I wish i could turn 'em out like that! All I use is antler tines, I don't have any copper. How do you think this would change, just using antler?

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 01:09:27 pm »
Matt i donno, i dont presher flack much with antler, I've done a tome of percushion with antler tho.
I'd wait an ask hillbilly he broply knows more about antler presher flaking than me.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 01:12:05 pm »
Freak'n awesome.  I'm going to work on some points this weekend. 

Think thin, think thin, think thin......... 8)

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Papa Matt

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 01:16:45 pm »
Right on, thanks for the thread! I wish you were my neighbor so I could sit down and watch you in person. I've just started to try my hand at flintknapping and so far have been able to get thick points of chert (all I have to work with), and they have ageneral arrowhead shape, but I have them way too thick and not all that symmetrical. And I haven't been able yet to figure out how to put notches in with my antler tines. I think it would be easier with a copper flaker like you're using, but I can't justify buying one when most natives used antler tines and got the job done just fine. It is tempting to just buy (or make) one though. Can a person buy heavy copper nails somewhere and just drill a hole in a stick and glue the nails down in?

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 01:23:52 pm »
Papa:  I think most notches like that can be done with the small bone from a deer's front leg.  It has a flat end and I've seen some really nice notches put in that way.  I'm just now getting into the "Abo" side of knapping and so I haven't actually tried it.  I've got some legs in the freezer so I'll get there eventually.  Thinning is also my challenge right now too.

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Papa Matt

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 01:30:14 pm »
I'll try that. Have to wait til somebody donates me a bone this fall though. I think if I just get them thinner it'll be a lot easier to put notches in, no matter what I'm using. So far I've only made a couple points so I still have a lot of learning to do. The first point was funny lookin', it was a general triangle shape, but was wavy down it's length like the girls tongue in Exorcist. The second one was better, more flat, but still too thick. This knappin stuff sure is fun, though.  ;D

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 02:00:59 pm »
Another excellant tutorial here Jesse! And a fine looking dove tail, hmhmhm.. I use that flat copper for notching too and your right - running longer flakes to thin ahead of the notch is the way to go. Thin bi-face is key to deep notches too of course. Redfearn uses flat copper to notch his andice's and their an inch or so deep.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 03:27:38 pm »
Thanks cowboy.  :)
Mililani Hawaii

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 03:41:39 pm »
Otoe, Matt, To thinning is all about you angle, (Always Abrade!) and hit it at a more obtuse angle. Also take the time to set up good plateforms, and keep yous platforms close to your centerline.
Mililani Hawaii

Papa Matt

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 03:50:01 pm »
Thanks for the advice and the notch-along, Leapingbare!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 04:17:46 pm »

Papa Matt, go to your hardware store, and get number 4, or 8 copper wire.  They have it on spools.  You can buy it by the foot.
Also go to your plumbing supply, and get your different sized round end caps, for your copper boppers.  Not expensive at all to make a bopper, and a couple of pressure flakers.  Make one with a long handle, about two ft. or so, so you can use your knees, and arms together for the pressure.  The short handled ones, you can make for finer details, and such.  I too just started, and have given a lot of blood to the Gods of the Lithic realm, just last night I was up till 5:30 am. and went back out in my garage, and messed around with a flake, and was experimenting, and got a nice blood blister on the pad of my left ring finger.  I have started to get some nice flakes, but I am not consistent yet.  Still light years away from doing stuff, like Jesse, and Claude Van Order.  I did make a decent one out of untreated Chert, but it has a lot of inclusions and hair line frictures in it, so I thought I would leave well enough alone.  I had one out of Obsidian, but I had it in my welders apron, and it broke, and I couldn't find the piece to glue in to show it.  So I just tossed it.   Just read all you can and watch the U-Tube videos, and practice on what you have, and if you make a nice flake, remember how you did it, and try to repeat it, and learn from your mistakes.  Just get a flake, and practice making long flakes, and then practice notches, and when you can do that pretty well go for the full Arrow head.  It is all an oops, and ahh, process.  Sometimes, like with me there is an occaisional #@$% ! moment, like when I had a nice point thinning down, and it decided to break, because I did not have it supported.  I started to get resullts, and I got in a hurry.  Take your time, and abrade, abrade.  I may try to post a picture of the Chert head .

Wayne

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 07:21:41 am »
Thanks Jesse, this helps big time, this was a "so simple a caveman can do it" moment :D Glad yer doing these tuturials.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI