Author Topic: Round 2 of screaming bulls  (Read 19396 times)

Offline Keenan

Round 2 of screaming bulls
« on: September 25, 2008, 07:36:46 pm »
 Just got back from another outing. Found some incredible meadows with trees ripped to shreds, elk beds and piles of fresh green droppings.  Tuesday morning we had a big bull scream back at me but as I was trying to determine if he was a satellite or herd bull he decided to take his cows and sneak away ??? what a coward >:( he wouldn't come out and play,,,,,,
  Several of the trees were around 6" diam and marked higher then we could reach. ;) 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Little John

Re: Round 2 of screaming bulls
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 08:37:25 pm »
Good luck Keenan, How much more time do you have? Have had a missed shot and several near shot opportunities here. I have obligations for Saturday but am going to try hard Sunday which is the last day here in Colorado. Was a lot more action last weekend than the two weeks before. Have been staking out a watering hole/ elk crossing/ trail intersection.  This work schedule really gets in the way of my hunting.   Oh by the way, that terain is beautiful but looks too flat for elk terain (joking), here in Colorado there would be a 10'000 sq ft log mansion on it and the landowner complaining that the elk were eating toe landscaping and bears getting into the trash.    Kenneth
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 09:22:28 pm by Little John »
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 08:44:50 pm »
Looks like a real great time! Next weekend you'll get that Elk. I'm sure of it!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 12:31:32 am »
Thanks Kenneth, This weekend is the last of our hunt as well. I'm going back out in the morning and all day Saturday so one last push.
 Yes this area is quite a bit flatter then where Lulyn got her bull, However looks are deceiving that is a pic of a high meadow in between some ridges and about 1 1/2 miles in off the road. My S/I joint in the hip is real bad and so it's limiting my walking lately and didn't think I could make another trip in the higher country.
  Good luck on your last weekend, keep us posted on how it goes.

Thanks David, Your going to have to give it a try sometime,,,,It's a real heart throb when you have a big bull ripping up trees and screaming in your face  ;)

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 12:38:01 am »
Good luck this weekend, everyone. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 02:35:34 am »
I will one day! Just need to learn how to hunt and get a little time off from work. You know how the ladies are!!!  ;D  (Inside joke! Ask Keenan!)
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 07:00:24 am »
Beautiful pictures,that had to be a great time.Got to do it again someday.My son is now in
law school in WY. so I will be headed west more often the next few years.Just need to get the timing right. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 08:14:27 am »
That's some beautiful country Keenan...goodluck on your last weekend! You're going to have to go through some self-therapy after this hunting season!  ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 07:04:43 pm »
I can see it now! Keenan behind the desk bugling his Elk call as a customer comes in the door!!!!  ;D

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 07:32:39 pm »
good luck to ya sir...hope your medicines strong
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 08:39:41 am »
  Yesturday was incredible to say the least. Started very early with wading through frosty meadows. Pick a good spot set up and call a while. Light soft cow calls at first, increasing in volume and intensity to resemble a small herd. Then a small chuckle to pierce the crisp morning air. Antisipation builds as I stumble upon a fresh wallow,the water still mirky from a bull splashing and rolling the night befor. Set up after set up the routine continues,,,,,,inside reminding myself not to lose faith,,,,remebering all the times in the past that it did eventually all come together. But this time is different,,,,,,this is the heart dream,,,,,,,,, to take a bull with all primitive gear.
  Looking intently at the stone tips that I'd made,confident that they will do what they where made to do. My trusty yew ambush bow. The one that has become my favorite shooter. Thousands of shots have helped it become as a part of my hand.
  The day has been long and hot. It's late afternoon and only a few hours of light left for the day. My good friend and life long hunting buddy James and I are working our way back to the truck. Following the stream running from meadow to meadow. Glancing ahead I see another clearing through the trees........then a body,,,, then another,,,,,,,We drop in the brush,,, all of the sudden a cow elk jumps a log right in front of me. She had been on the other sde of some trees just fifteen yards away. now standing slightly quartered at twenty yards and not a clue we are there. How much I would love to take the shot,,,,,,,,however this is a bull only area,,,one of few and earlier in the day we talked about going to a diferent unit that is either sex. Looking past the cow I see the bull,,,,,,oh what a bull,,,,as he lifts his head the sun reveals the crown at the top of the rack. He's a Rosevelt and a full mature "crowned out bull"  I can see at least 7 on each side........He's 60 yards away with the cow between us......sorry guys it's 4:30 and time to leave,  we are heading back out....... More to come ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 10:27:31 am »
You dog you! Leave us hanging like this. >:(      I'll be back later...and this better be good!  ;)      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 04:39:56 pm »
Yeah! The anticipation is killing me!!!! What I would not do to be out in the woods with ya guys.  ;D

Offline Keenan

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 04:33:43 pm »
 ;D ;D  Ya that was fairly rude for me to get have way through the story and leave,,,,,,,, :D 

Finally back home with some incredible memories.

When I left off on the story, I had a cow between me and a huge bull. The cow now presenting a perfect quartered away 20 yrd shot. Ironically we are only 1/2 -1/4 mile from where cows are legal. Fortunately the bulls incredible size now has my full attention as the cow grazes off to our left. A few more steps and she is now behind some trees and the path to the bull is open. He is now behind a tree and grazing away towards the hillside. Carefully scanning the opening I can no longer see the other cow that I had spotted earlier. With extream caution I work forward to the creek bottom that is between me and the bull. The sunken depression will give some cover and allow me to get closer to be in range.
  James is working his way in between the bull and the lead cow.She is now past us and heading toward the meadow that we had just come threw. I crawl down the creek bottom toward the tree where I last saw the bull. Closing the 60 yards to now 20 away from the tree, James makes a few light cow calls in the background. With both of us in position I answere with a few light cow calls as well. Silence is all there is, no movement, no responses. A few more cow calls and a chuckle to make him think a small bull has come into his cows,,,,,still nothing,,,,a time slips by we realize the bull and his cows have slipped by as well. Right through us.
  This isn't the first time, earlier in the week on Tuesday morning he'd answered my calls as his scream pierced the stillness of the morning. Just like this time he out smarted me that morning as well. Slipping out to our side and down the drainage without a sound.
  However this time I was close. Close enough to have taken out his lead cow and to get a glimpse to know that I was up against one of the best.
 I've been bow hunting elk since I was 16 years old and have had allot of success and have been blessed to have taken several real nice monarchs. As I look at my 7x8 Roosevelt mount that is on the wall and remember the intensity of that hunt in comparison to this one. I realize just how savvy this old boy is and must admit that he just outsmarted me on every move.
  We did get back on him the next morning, only to be humbled again. My body now weary from the month of hard hunting and my hip screamming with pain from the miles of abuse.I conseed a salute this big bad bull that gave me such a wonderfull challenge this year. Hoping he will survive the on coming rifle season and meet me for another round next year. ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 04:57:29 pm »
 8) !!!   It ain't so bad if you're outsmarted by the best out there.  ;)   ...and what an adventure. 8)   Sounds like a successful hunt without the prize.   Thanks for sharing. I was right there with you through out your tale.       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC