Author Topic: Round 2 of screaming bulls  (Read 19397 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: Round 2 of screaming bulls
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 08:47:31 pm »
Thanks Pat, I do wish I had been able to get some pics of him just to share and gaze at in remembrance ;)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 09:40:58 pm »
Sounds like you had a great time! Thats why its called hunting not killing. We don't always have to kill a animal to have a great hunt!  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Keenan

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 01:45:03 am »
 thank you Ryan. that is exactly how we feel ;) I measure a successfull hunt by how close I can get while undetected and for me thats the real challenge and fun of it. And with that I had a very successfull year and even learned some new things as well ;)

Offline Little John

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 11:09:01 pm »
Congratulations Keenan on an awsome adventure, and chance to be a primitive predator. Hopefully we will still eat even tho we were unsucesful in the harvest. I ended up hunting ten days and each one was a gift from God and not to be taken for granted but to be put into my hunting memory scrap book. I had near shot opportunities and even a missed shot so can't complain about that. Awsome wilderness camping, good eating, beautiful country, no other hunters in my area, burning lungs and legs. The older we get I realize that such things are worth lots as each hunt could be our last, we are not guaranteed anything. I also salute the bull I did not harvest and wish him good luck thru the rifle season and winter.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 12:36:48 am »
I am living vicariously through all your adventures since I am stuck at home and work during hunting season. One day I too will travel to the great hunting grounds of the Wapiti and actually breath fresh air and actually live like God meant us to. I will continue to follow all your adventures!

“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 09:42:20 pm »
I can relate to being outsmarted by the bugling warriors... just returned from two weeks of elk crazy hunting ... saw lots of elk but didn't connect with any ... will try again when it opens back up on the fifteenth of Oct... great story ... can't wait for the story in PA.. did you hunt with elkie... Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Little John

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 12:50:26 am »
Hawk, you are right it is easy to be out manuvered by these warriors. This weekend I had the elk close and thought they would come in and get a drink at my stand or be pulled in by cow talk, should have been more agressive with them I suppose but you never know. I did not know if you were asking me or keenan about Elkie but no Elkie pulled some sinue loose from her back and I have not had the time for repairs, I am sure she would have made my medicine much more potent and surely would have made the difference. I will have her in shape and back in action for next season, best get started as it is only eleven monthes and counting. Good luck on your later season, is it a rifle hunt or you hunt with a bow in the rifle season? Chin to the wind.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 07:33:26 am »
Great stories,it is like I was there ,just without the legs and lungs burning  ;D ;D.
Hope to do it again someday.Maybe next year.Good luck through the rest of the year. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 08:36:44 am »
Great story...I was mentally visualizing along with you! Like already said, there doesn't have to be a kill in the end to determine a successful season.  ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 09:46:57 am »
Kenneth, sorry to hear about elkie.... my later hunt is with a bow but it is rifle season... i have waited for years to draw this area and am holding out for a big one... had sevreal bulls already at bow range ...... missed a possible world record class bull  :'( when my bow broke while drawing on it... saddest day of my recent life... ...keep to the shadowed Side of the hill ...Hawk 

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Keenan

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2008, 10:06:56 pm »
Thanks guys. 

LJ, sorry to hear about Elkie, You are right everyday that I'm able to spend out there is a blessing for sure.

Hawkbow,sorry to hear of your bow as well. Holding out for the big ones takes great discipline but it dose eventually pay off. We have a late hunt as well that is in Nov. for blacktail bucks and a late cow elk hunt.  Good luck on your second round.

Pappy: Thank you,I was hoping to help others experience it the way that I was able to. Next time I'll throw in the burning legs, lungs, blow downs, frozen mornings blazing, hot afternoons and swamps complete with mosquitoes for free. Hate to short change you on the experience ;D

Greg thank you. ;)

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2008, 10:19:15 pm »
Keenan thanks brother. good luck to you on the rest of the season... should be a good one if the weather will cool down....shoot straight... and keep your chin to the wind... Hawk a/ho

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2008, 10:24:57 pm »
Must hunt ELK!!!!  :D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Little John

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2008, 11:04:21 pm »
David, you are correct that you must hunt elk. To me they are one of the most awsome animals to hunt and also much more do able than sheep, goats grizz, moose and such. To me it is not just the animal but the wilderness terrain that makes them so special.

Hawk, man oh man for my bow to break while drawing on a trophy would be the sadest day of my entire life. Hope it did not whack you in the face to add insult to injury. Dont worry about Elkie she just needs for me to spend some time on her which will be easier to do this winter when things slow down.

Keenan, thanks for the great description of your adventure, and you are right , next time you need to add about all the hardships that make such a hunt special.

Kenneth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2008, 11:29:40 pm »
If you guys need more hardships, take me along. Eh Kenneth? ;D      Pat

ps. I love reading about these elk hunts. I still have another one coming if I can swing it. 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC