Author Topic: Round 2 of screaming bulls  (Read 19384 times)

Offline Little John

Re: Round 2 of screaming bulls
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2008, 12:03:07 am »
You got it Pat, On a wilderness hunt you just take it like it comes  and do what it takes, sometines it is hardships. Don't worry Pat you will be here if I have to come to N.C. and load you up. Oh yea, there will be enough gas to get us back on our way won't there. Oh by the way life is good.       Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2008, 08:50:44 pm »
Take me with you! PLEASE!!!!!!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2008, 08:53:11 pm »
Tiller you can come with me ... will need someone to carry elk quarters... ;D ;) HAWK
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2008, 09:09:49 pm »
No problem! I'll help ya pack out yours if you'll help me pack out mine!!!!  ;D

Though, getting to Wyoming will be a little hard for me this year.

David
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2008, 10:18:53 pm »
No worries david, there is always next season... with the wolf populations down. the herds are making a great comeback...i saw dozens of bulls in two weeks of hunting this year.. passed on several good bulls waiiting for an old warrior but haven't got him yet... opens back up on the fifteenth.. HAWK

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2008, 01:24:49 am »
Your on for next year! Just need to plan the time off and find a way to get out to Wyoming. What part of that beautiful state are you in?

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2008, 10:41:05 am »
northwest corner... along the Absaroka front.... Hawk

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Keenan

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2008, 12:08:57 pm »
Congratulations David that is a great opportunity and very generous offer by Hawk. Wyoming has some incredible elk. Start you conditioning now and that way you can come by here on your way back through and help pack my elk as well. ;D
  Watch allot of videos and hit some 3d shoots to get used to field judging distance on elk. They are big critters and can fool you if your not used to the size.
  If it turns out you can't swing the dollars for the trip and out of State tags, there is a good elk population there in Washington. Coast can be real rugged as you know but eastern Washington by the Idaho border is some great hunting as well. I have a friend that just got back from guiding up there and called in 7 bulls for clients and shot a 5x6 himself.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2008, 01:13:22 pm »
That was one awesome story Keenan! Finally had time to sit down and read. Hope ya get another chance at him next year :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2008, 03:29:40 pm »
I'm going to keep all options open. I've never really hunted before so I'll need pointers and all the help I can get! Do want to do some boar hunting one day too. But with my schedule these days its lucky if I get sleep. Tomarrow I'm ditching the property for electricity all 1000 feet of it. Man I am a glutton for punishment! The dream of Elk hunting will keep me going through the day.

Hawk, you got any pictures of your trip?

David T

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2008, 05:52:08 pm »

Keenan.....sounds like you had one Awesome Time.....I envy you the Chance to just be out there for a Month in that Terrain...with those Majestic Beasts....one of these Days I will pack it all up ....and get out of this Desert!!!

Hey Hawk..that ain't that Fantastic Bow that you just had made for you is it??? Man that would suck to have one that close...and have a Material or Workmanship Failure....man I Feel for you....there is always next year though..........and I am Invited too??? Heck I'll even Gut Your Kill .....and Pack it out!!!!

;)   >:D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 05:55:32 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Keenan

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2008, 07:08:22 pm »
 Wow Hawk, if you play this write you could probably get coffee, bacon and eggs with out even having to get out of the sleeping bag ;D  Maybe even someone to carry your gear and a camera to film the whole thing ;D ;D ;D  sorry couldn't resist.

just being a rebel rouser ;D  Help is always good to have with elk hunting. I've been really blessed to have some good friends that are always eager to help. Having an elk on the ground is like processing a dead horse. You don't just drag it to the truck and throw it in. Just packing out quarters can be like packing a whole deer,,,, times 4. Somehow they always seem to go right to the bottom of the nastiest blowdown or drainage around.
 My very first was a 6x6 bull when I was 16 years old. SnakeRiver unit ,,,,,,,,mile deep, mile wide canyons......dropped right in the bottom of the canyon below camp. Camp was on the ridge ::) ::) ::)Quartered it and hung it in trees just out of reach from the bears. Took me three days with a horse to get it all up to camp. Narrow switchback trails and so steep I had to go clear up to the head of the canyon to work the horse all the way down to it. Swore I would never do that again....... ::) ::) ::)  famous last words.
 If you do get an elk down and others are there to help, don't forget to reward they with some of the meat. They will have earned it. ;)

Offline Keenan

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2008, 07:35:26 pm »
 Hear are a few more pics from the hunt. 

The first is the wallow in the story. then a few other wallows.
 Next Tony is still in awe after hearing his first real bugling bull in the wild that morning so I'm helping him relive the experience ;D
 Then the last pic is my life partner and love of my life all tuckered out sleeping by a stream running through the meadow.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 07:40:23 pm by Keenan »

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2008, 08:07:45 pm »
Wowser! Now that is some nice country Keenan.

Hawk let me know when your ready to go next year and I will be sitting on your door step bow in hand and obsidian tipped arrows ready to go! You show me what to do and I will be the best student you will ever have when it comes to learning the Elk hunting trade. MMMM!!! Elk....its whats for dinner!!!  ;D

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2008, 08:38:35 pm »
Tiller, I live for elk hunting, every year the bugles in the hugh lands transform me into a rut crazed bull myself... this time next year if you find youself rubbing your head on the bedpost and rolling in urine soaked mud while bugling obscene challenges at the neighbors.. then and only then are you truly ready to hunt elk ;D ;)

el destructo... No builder error with the bow... was the finest bow  I have ever shot... shot a squirrel from a tree and a grouse in the air the first day i had her... looks like the glue failed on the boo backing probably because our temperatures went from freezing in the am to eighty in the day and back to freezing in evening combined with rainy weather and then dry for days... I would never consider blaming Mac for the failure... his bows are top notch and his craftsmenship is second to none...HAWK 

Mike "Hawk" Huston