Author Topic: Round 2 of screaming bulls  (Read 18995 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: Round 2 of screaming bulls
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2008, 01:05:23 am »
Wow! Now I know we are all s#@$#@ by the govt! Now I understand why people poach game especially when they have mouths to feed!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Keenan

« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2008, 10:55:22 am »
David, I understand your frustration about high price for out of state tags but must agree with it to a degree. You will find that your local tags for resident hunters is much less as it is with every state. The reason nonresident is higher is to protect the rights and hunting for locals. If tags for non resident is cheap there is a larger number of out of state hunters and guides that come in and ruin things for locals. Seen it hear several times. Oregon had very low non resident tags for many years and out of state guide services over booked hunts in certain areas and saturated some units with out of state hunters ruining those spots.
  If I were to go into your back yard and hunt your favorite spot I would expect to pay more for it. And it should be lower for the residents,after all it's their state. Don't mean this to sound wrong or uncaring for your situation but keep in mind that the dollars that go into DFW helps to manage and support our wildlife as well. I have several friends that work for the DFW and believe me they are not getting rich and most of the dollars are being well used. They are one of our best advocates for fighting the anti hunting groups that are trying to ban all hunting.
  Just food for thought bro. Would love to have you come hunt Oregon. And I would love to hunt Washington and have a friend that just got a nice 5x6 bull up in your state. But I know it's going to mean I'll shell out a few bucks to go up there..

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2008, 12:46:29 pm »
Just give me a little time to get the bucks together and then I wont complain so much. Do want to go hunting with ya one of these days. It looks like a lot of fun. Say, do they have any feral hogs in OR? I bet the only price on them is a hunting license and not tags. They taste pretty good too! Just need to get out and smell some fresh air.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Keenan

« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2008, 01:12:39 pm »
David, hogs are few and scattered and mostly on some of the private farm ground over by John Day from what I've heard. The farmers would love for you to take as many as you can get. Also Coyotes are a good challenge and no tags required. Just start tucking away some dollars and make it happen on the elk. ;) You'll have to clear things with my wife on cornering some of my hunting time. The list is long on people begging to go with us and she has got kind of protective and limiting on who I can guide and call for. Though it's nice to feel needed, I've been guiding for allot of people over the last few years and there are a few others ahead of you on the list. Love elk hunting so much I'd love to take anyone any time, just not possible and don't want to offend anyone so trying to be methodical and fair about it.
  If timing works we probably get you in on a hunt mid week while others are working. At the very least I can put you in an area to find some. ;)

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2008, 05:54:50 pm »
Sounds good to me! Will need to clear it with the schedule too. But sounds absolutly magnificent ol'chap!  ;)