Author Topic: First weekend hunting trip  (Read 5495 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
First weekend hunting trip
« on: September 24, 2008, 02:59:09 pm »
Here are a few pics I took of my weekend hunting trip to GA. Unfortunately no deer were taken even though the weather was perfect(nights in the 50s and days in the 70s), lots of mast on the ground and falling, an unusual easterly wind and quite a few deer sitings.
   I had a doe come in to 10 yards but she had a feeling everything wasn't right and turned and cautiously walked away. In the second pis, the tree(winged elm) next to the cluster of dogwoods is the tree I was in when she came in. I later got into the tree the pics were taken from(about 10 yds away) with lots of better cover.
  The first 3 pics are from my stand looking right first(SW), then directly in front of me and the last to the right. 15 yards out in the last pic is where the river cane begins a cane and hardwood bottom. That's where the doe came from.The first pic of of old planted pines that have over grown undergrowth(mostly sweet gum trees)throughout.
   The shed was found while one member(Billy) was scouting a place to put a stand. Biggest diameter base we have seen on our club even though it only has 3 points. I'd say it was an older deer that had started to decline.
  Then there are a few of Mike(one of the owners) on his tractor(1946 Ford from the orange groves of central FLA) and another member, Billy. And lastly, the Dixie Hilton...our club house. The Dixie Hunt Club was named for "Dixie" the owner's grandpa's favorite quail dog.     Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TRACY

Re: First weekend hunting trip
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 03:08:18 pm »
Looks like some good woods to hunt there Pat. Thank goodness, I thought that bottle said Strohs for a minute! ;D. Maybe that doe will give you another opportunity later, good luck hunting.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 05:01:33 pm »
Tracy,
      That is a Stone Mill(micro brewery) beer bottle, not a Strohs. Strohs, spelled backwards, is shorts. I think that's what it is made with! ;D ::)
   Hope you have a good season also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 09:30:09 pm »
Looks like a good time sir...nice camp setup too..looks like the mice and squirrels got to that shed ya found...
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 01:58:08 am »
Yeah HT, Sheds don't last long around here. That one is in pretty good shape considering it was laying on the ground for at least 6 months and probably more. The Dixie Hilton was built about 20 years ago, hasn't changed much and has been through some pretty good storms. I remember we spent one Saturday and got 12" of rain in as many hours. We were ditching water around from all sides. Many good times and good stories came out of the Dixie Hilton!   ;) 8)     Pat

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 08:28:07 am »
A successful trip isn't necessarily dependant on if a deer is harvested or not...sounds like you have a good time when you go. Hope you do have a shot opportunity on the next trip.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 09:39:39 am »
Now that's an uptown huntin lodge ;D. Too bad ya'll didn't tag one, surely next time :). Shorts, now there's something ya don't see anymore - at least not around here. Used to feed the hogs with it (cheap) nowadays ya walk in a feed store and they never heard of it.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 09:59:27 am »
I know yall had a great time,deer or not. Maybe next trip,she was just teasing you for better things to come.You know how girls are. Anticipation.  ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 10:31:05 am »
If it were just about killing deer I would have quit long time ago! ;)  Being part of the woods as they wake up in the morning and putting the woods to sleep in the evening makes for special times. Having a deer at 10 yards has beat her at her game. A steamy gut pile...priceless!   
   Good luck this weekend Guys. Enjoy your surroundings and take the first available shot.  ;)      Pat

Offline John K

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 11:38:09 am »
Sounds like a good time Pat. There is always next time.....i'm counting the days until my first hunt of the year. Heading north to the south shore of lake Superior, as far north as you can go in Wisconsin. I leave next Friday for 10 days, i hope to have some pics to post when i get back  :)
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Little John

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 12:03:58 am »
Good luck John,    Pat when do you get to go gack for roung two? How far is it for you?      Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 01:04:58 am »
Kenneth, The club is about 2 1/2 hours away. I'm not sure when I'll get back down there. I hunt with a bow all season and it runs until Jan.1.
   John, good luck in Wis. Ought to be cool up there for your hunting.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 02:39:13 am »
Looks like a fun time Pat. I can just picture you in that tree stand with a big grin on your face and the beard blowing in the wind. Lucky duck!!!  :D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline John K

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 11:54:31 am »
Yeah Pat, Extended forcast is calling for highs in the upper 50's and lows in the upper 30's perfect !!
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 12:19:41 pm »
 8)    Sounds perfect for hunting!!!