Author Topic: 5/16 oak dowels ???  (Read 19226 times)

Offline dmassphoto

Re: 5/16 oak dowels ???
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 03:02:16 pm »
   Oak dowels are really dangerous if they have run offs, I think poplar dowels are safer. Oak seems to break very easily at the runoff point.

Thanks for the post.  In my earlier post, I asked exactly how one can explain grain runoff, but didn't get an answer.  Could you or anyone else explain?  Also, I accidently took photos of two oak shafts.  I will shoot the Poplar in a minute.  EDIT:  photo changed in previous post.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 03:07:39 pm by dmassphoto »

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 06:36:26 pm »
dmassphoto ,

If you carefully look at the two shafts you photographed, the poplar one appears to have the annual growth rings, (incorrectly called grain by some) running down the whole length of the shaft shown in the photograph and provided the sides and length we cannot see are similar it should make a "safe" arrow. ON the other hand the oak shaft has the rings running off towards the RH end, that is the annual rings come to points, These are weak points and the shaft may break here.

Craig.

Pdwight

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 06:55:50 pm »
OK , gotta ask. On the Poplar photo you can see the lines or growth rings , but on the oak shaft you can see ellipses or chevrons formed by ???

Do these make the shaft more prone to breakage...if so this helps me a lot when it comes to picking out wood.

Thanks
Dwight

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 07:24:40 pm »
Craig,
  Thanks a bunch for the input.  So, you're saying if I see anything like in the picture below, that is runoff, or "chevrons"?

Is it acceptable to have any of those on an arrow shaft, or should the growth rings run completely down the entire shaft for it to be usable?  Currently, the Poplar shaft that I shot has two "chevrons" spaced abotu 4" apart starting around 7" from the nock point.  Thanks again for your input.

Offline scattershot

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 09:30:14 pm »
Commercial shafts are considered good if the runout from side to side is more than 22".
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 02:39:34 am »
dmassphoto,

Scattershot  has put it nicely, anything less is suspect. If you do use shafts with some run-off of the annular rings make sure the points of the chevrons point back towards the string not towards the bow, that way if they do fail they are less likely to be driven into your bow hand.

Craig.

Pdwight

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 02:59:43 am »
This is very informative....a big thanks

Dwight