Author Topic: primitive classification UK  (Read 2816 times)

Offline wally

primitive classification UK
« on: October 10, 2008, 11:49:40 am »
In England we have a bow style category called primitive. In this category there are many stipulations, one is, if you have an arrow shelf or cut out it is not classed as primitive.
Our flat bows are distinguished again by this arrow shelf. If a flat bow has got one it is classed AFB or American flat bow. My question to all you knowledgable archers out there, is there any record of a primitive bow, native American or other that had an arrow shelf cut out?
and hey! Let's be careful out there

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: primitive classification UK
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 01:04:09 pm »
 Good question,don't know.Someone on this site knows who and when the cutout arrow shelf came about, I am sure.   Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 04:23:50 pm »
 I don't remember seeing any Native bows with cut in shelves but I have seen some with added on shelves and one with a small cut out semicircle at the arrow pass.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 09:24:03 pm »
  I've seen the same thing Pat is talking about. Also I've seen some pictures of some very narrow, bend in the handle, bows. In the US, most 3-D shoots are designed around hunting situations when setting the targets up. Usually, what is shot in the "Primitive" division is any bow, be it laminated, or a stave, that is Handcrafted from all wood. Recently, the statewide club I shoot from, Traditional Bowhunters of Fl, has also said all arrows in the primitive division has to be wood and self nocks.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 12:37:52 am »
Some traditional shoots also have an ABO class.: all natural materials, selfbows, cane or shoot arrows, self nocks, etc.  Standard field points are the norm but most participants try to be as ABO as possible; Like cutting a cane arrow at a sharp angle about 3" beyond a node, fill the center with sand and seal with pitch pine. A friend, Barry McCall shot a 20 target course with one arrow like this. Stuck it in trees, hit rocks...and he kept on shooting it.  8)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC