Author Topic: Treestands?  (Read 6775 times)

whitewoodshunter

Treestands?
« on: September 26, 2008, 07:57:20 pm »
What do you guys think of using a modern treestand with primitive gear?

Offline huntertrapper

Re: Treestands?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 09:33:11 pm »
i personally dont use treesatnds really at all. but i dont think theres anything wrong with it...do what you want, real brushy, use a tree, where i hunt i can stalk so i prefer ground....but youll see a lot of guys on here with treestands
Modern Day Tramp

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 10:23:02 pm »
my thought are,  deer live on the ground so i hunt on the ground.

actually im afraid of heights so i hunt on the ground.

nothing wrong with it though,lots of guys use em

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 11:55:02 pm »
Keep Safe!!!!!  If you like hunting from a tree use the safest thing you can. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 01:10:47 am »
Justin is right. More hunters are injured falling from tree stands than any other hunting activity. I have hunted from tree stands for almost 30 years. I am trying to hunt on the ground more but this old dog is a slow learner. In the Southeast, where I do most of my hunting that is the way we were taught. Two years ago I hunted Colorado for elk and it was strictly spot and stalk, which I thoroughly enjoyed even the elk didn't play fair. I wish they had! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

BuzAL

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 10:06:08 pm »
To me...treestands provide us no more advantage than cavemen had when they hunted from trees.  A treestand w/harness just makes this safer than standing on a branch. 

That treestand doesn't tiller your bow or perfectly match your arrows or hold the full draw-weight of it or hold the string for you or aim it for you or loose the string for you.  You've gotta do all that, and more.

Its just a good seat in the woods.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 10:14:36 pm »
  I've got two , nice lite weight lock-ons. But I get bored real quick and go hunting. I like crawling, and stalking and seeing how close I can get. And,I'm a bad shot. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 10:17:18 pm »
I love hunting from trees and stalking/still hunting on the ground both, just depends on the mood I'm in. I'm sure that people heve been hunting out of trees as long as people have been hunters. Plus you see a lot of amazing stuuff that you normally wouldn't when you sit still up in a tree for a few hours.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 10:36:20 pm »
I have around 15 hang-on stands, and one climber and bow hunt almost exclusively from them. I NEVER hunt with a gun or muzzleloader from one. I like being able to move around some while firearms hunting.
  It's kinda funny though. The best buck I ever killed with a bow, I stalked and shot from the ground. ???
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 11:24:37 pm »
every year i make a new one and keep 2 in the woods and one in the yard for practice.  i buy a 12' spruce 2x6 and rip it down the center  and buy some 2x3's for rungs and 2' x 2' plywood top. so my stands are 12' tall and i enjoy hunting from them, funny thing is, i have killed more deer on the ground than in the tree but i always feel like i have more of an advantage in a tree....go figure   but the very first deer i ever killed with a bow i saw it pass outa range so i got outa my stand and snuck up on it while it fed. turned broadside at 12 yards and whack...double lunged. i prefer hunting on the ground when i can but i only have access to about 25 good huntable acres and it doesnt take long to make the deer turn nocturnal by stalking everyday.   nothin wrong with either in my opinion, what ever tickles your fancy i suppose.- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 09:01:42 am »
Although I've taken a few deer off the ground with a bow, I personally prefer treestand hunting. It is the norm here in Tn., and I think I take pride in locating the right spot with good cover and the best opportunity for a shot. It also allows you to get away with some movement during the draw and helps with scent. Like already said, wear a good safety harness while hunting from a stand!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 09:34:56 am »
I use a climber, always have. I enjoy hunting from the ground also. Where I hunt, I think that you might be slightly disadvantaged to hunting the tree because so many people do anymore and deer seem to be more prone to look up more often. An ambush is an ambush whether it's on the ground or in a tree. I think it's up to the individual's preference. Weather dictates my choice of being in the stand or on foot.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Postman

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 04:05:17 pm »
Hunt a bout a 4 sq.mile chunk of Nat'l forest, so no permanent stands are allowed....I have a few deadfalls I climb into and make more comfy with a styrofoam cushion. Also have a nice pine tree that I've actually fallen asleep in. Have also used 2 treesteps  to hold a 2by 6 piece screwed to a 2by4 support, but only about 8 feet up.

gotta have that safety belt

"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 12:07:15 am »
 yeah, I use a 15 foot metal one, but I hate it.theres just no foot room, unless the deer is to my left, im screwed.  I hunted out of a metal one yesterday that was 18 foot up, plenty of legroom to get the best angle on a shot, it was great.(pretty high up though) We usually get in the trees in the winter, starting early this year. oh and for anyone in the midwest: this weather is real odd, did anyone see any deer moving? I didnt see a friggin thing, and I was in my stand all day! good luck whitewoodshunter -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 12:18:44 am »
I was in my stand for 13 hrs yesterday. Saw around 30 deer. And the closest came in about 30 yards, to far for me.