Author Topic: Father's Day Blade Altered/Finished  (Read 3934 times)

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Father's Day Blade Altered/Finished
« on: September 28, 2008, 10:54:32 am »
Here is the blade I posted a while back made of some stone that my kids gave me for fathers day.  I had to keep working it to get it thin and down to a manageable size, (I don't have a lot of big antlers around, yet).  Here is what I wound up with.  It turned out pretty nice.  The original spall had a little bit of a curve to it and I couldn't quite get it all out but I did manage to get most thinned out.  The handle and sinew hafting are white tail.  I gave this to a friend and he seemed quite happy.   

Now, back to bows and arrows. 

Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Father's Day Blade Altered/Finished
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 10:59:58 am »
I think it looks really nice Mike....good job....hey where did you get the Pattern for that Sheath?? I really like it....it's simple and very useable at the same time.....neat!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 11:24:31 am »
Very nice Mike. That looks really nice. I knew you could get it if you kept trying. I tried a little knapping at the Expo Friday and Sat. and it definitely takes talent to be able to do that. I think I'll stick to bows for now. Great job.

Speaking of the Expo...Where were you at? :(

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 02:22:16 pm »
Looks real nice Mike :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 03:28:05 pm »
Mike:  The sheath is something I just played around with on paper and finally came up with something that worked.  I'm sure it's not original but it does work pretty well.  The thing I had to experiment with was getting the leather "oversized" enough to allow for the folds and stitching.  If you want, I'll scan it tomorrow and send you a copy.  One thing you probably can't see, is the stitching (plain old leather boot lace) is one continuous piece. 

John:  I've had such a busy few day, I'll probably just enjoy the weather and stay home. Who knows,  I may head that way.   ::)

Dana:  Thanks man, your blade in the other post is really cool too.  I wish I'd gotten into the KITH too, but my production is so slow, I have to concentrate on one, two, or three things at a time.  ::)  I have a Christmas Exchange gift to make too you know.   ;)

The guy I gave it to last night was a speaker at our Men's Ministry Outdoor Cookout at our Church last night.  He also brought two of his sons with him  and they fell in love with the knife.   I promised each of them I'd make them a similar blade.  Busy, busy, busy.

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 05:15:45 pm »
Looks great, Mike-nice chippin'.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 08:44:47 am »
Nice job. It's a beauty. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 09:11:24 am »
Your knife turned out really nice! Great job! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Dingleberry

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 04:14:25 pm »
Good job Mike.   Glad to see someones skills are advancing; i've been too tyed up with work and a baby to do any knappin :'(

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 11:13:11 pm »
I hear you Jon.  Lunch time is usually good to sneak off for a little while.  That and when the wife's out of town.   >:D

Mike