Linked Events

• OJAM: March 19, 2009 - March 22, 2009

Author Topic: Still water, Oklahoma Ojam  (Read 16326 times)

Offline Aries

Still water, Oklahoma Ojam
« on: September 28, 2008, 10:51:43 pm »
hey i just hear about the next Ojam comin up in march In Oklahoma.  This will be my first Ojam experience and am already pretty excited about it. Does anyone know yet if they will be trying to attend?

What about trading woods?  If I was wantin to try some new stuff out, what would be the  best way for me to prepair wood for trading? I have Lots of osage... character, and straight.   Ty
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 10:26:29 am by Calendargirl »
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Re: Still water, Oklahoma Ojam
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 11:08:28 pm »
Aries:  Where you from?  I live straight south of OJAM (actually closer to Ripley than Stillwater) about 25 miles  between Carney and Chandler. 

I went to OJAM for the first time last year and was enthralled the whole time.  I just wondered around and soaked it all in.  Next year I plan on going and working on bows, shoot the course, making arrows, basically do it all.  May even camp out just for fun. 

Okie1, and The Singing Bowyer were both there last year as are several others here on the board.  I think Cowboy even came up from Texas two years ago.  Okie is from the Luther area and Bowyer is from the Shawnee area.  We even got together at Okie's place one weekend to make some shavings, eat some backstrap and fling some arrows.  All great guys. 

As far as wood trades are concerned, I'd say that just about any configuration would do well.  Like I said, I watched a lot of yellow dust flying around.  Other stuff was there for sure, but the Sage was the predominant wood of choice. 

I don't know yet if they have the next JAM site up and running yet.  They had to do a last minute adjustment last year when the first dates conflicted with Easter.  It was still a great event from my perspective.

Mike

So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 11:31:40 pm »
Aries, the dates are March 19th - 22nd, 2009. The website hasn't been updated yet, but it is, www.ojam.org. Keep checking it, Doug will probably update it soon. We had a ton of inquiries this weekend at the Wildlife Expo. Should be a great turn out.

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline Aries

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 10:05:56 pm »
Sounds awesome, I live In the Chickasha area. Its good to hear about some bowyers in these parts, as far as i knew I was all alone lol. I have been on my own since  I started workin on bows bout 4 years ago, so swapin knowledge with some pwople in real life is gonna be an great new experience        Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 12:02:39 am »
I've been that way a few times.  Mother in law lives in Marlow.  Don't get that way much any more since they mainly come visit us.   ;)

There are more primitive folks here in the state than I originally thought too.  You'll meet lots here and at OJAM

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline mobow

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 04:23:58 pm »
I went last year and had a great time.  I plan to return again in 09.  Just marked the dates on my calendar.  keith

Offline bcbull

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 04:23:41 pm »
 the 2 boys and i will be there  theyr all ready to go now  they cant wait  brock

Offline ozarkcherrybow

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 09:53:17 pm »
Ty, you are in for a treat! You will meet alot of primitive guys and gals from your area. Plan on getting there Thursday night and spend the whole weekend to soak it all in. I am sorry to say that I won't be able to make it this year. You will want to come back every year, I promise.  You will learn more in a weekend than a lifetime of making bows by yourself!.......Terry
any stick do for bow, but good arrows are damn heap work

Offline mobow

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 06:09:10 pm »
Ojam was a wonderful event again.  Everyone who is interested in selfbows should put it on their list of events to attend.  I will try and get some pictures together soon.  keith

Offline ozarkcherrybow

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 08:53:18 pm »
I am bummed that I could'nt make it this year, especially after hearing about the shafts that Keith brought for sale!  Heard that it was the biggest yet with over 500 in attendence.  I sure hope to make Mojam to make up for missing this one.....Bring on the pics, Keith....Terry
any stick do for bow, but good arrows are damn heap work

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 02:09:28 pm »
I'm sorry you missed it too, Terry. We could of used your help. Ralph only made it for a few hours Friday and Mikee had health problems and only came out Sat. to visit, so we were kinda short handed. Hope to see ya next year since I won't make MOJAM this year.
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS