Author Topic: Black locust bow  (Read 3602 times)

Offline robbsbass

Black locust bow
« on: September 30, 2008, 10:14:30 pm »
Hi guys, as usual I'm calling on your knowledge and experience to help me out again. On this bow of mine I have kept the grip fairly thick because I have fairly big hands, arthritis, and it just feels more comfortable. Is that ok, or should I narrow it down a bit. Second question, I allowed the top limb to be one inch longer than the bottom one. where exactly do I place the arrow rest? As usual thanks in advance.

Robb
live each day the best you can

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Black locust bow
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 11:24:07 pm »
Of course its ok. Its your bow if it fits your hand that way then why not? Put your shelf and the center of the bow.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 11:37:13 pm »
With your hand on the handle you can feel if both limbs have the same tension. Adjust your hand until it is the same and put a mark across the handle right above your hand.  This will be your arrow pass.
   If your handle is wide you will probably have to use lighter spined arrows or arrows that are longer than normal.       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 11:32:57 am »
Thanks
What you guys say make more sense than some of the books or articles. Why did one book tell me to make one limb 1 to3 inches shorter, put the long limb on top, but now you guys say the arrow rest should be in the middle of the bow or were I get even flex.
I sure hope this gets less confusing as I try to make more bows.
            Robb

Papa Matt

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 11:44:26 am »
I know what you mean Rob. When you learn more about it and have more experiences, most of it comes together and makes sense. But one thing about making primitive bows will never change-- you have to do what is right in your hands and feels best for you, and a lot of rules therefore are not set in stone. The 2 awesome things about primitive archery that you must always remember are:

1)  as long as your bow don't break
-- and
2) you're satisfied as to how it shoots

Your bow could contradict everything you read in a book, and no one could argue against it. Do what works for you.

~~Papa Matt 

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 12:01:26 pm »
Thankyou... Papa Matt. Sure do wish some of you guys were up here in Canada,... Then I could just phone for help.

Robb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 12:39:28 pm »
Robb, There are many roads to the well tillered bow. Each person takes the road that is most familiar and comfortable to them. I started out building bows the way most book describe but later realized, for me, a symmetrical layout was the easiest way to see good tiller...the easiest road for me to follow. All of these roads lead to the finished, well tillered bow but it is up to you to choose the one that gets you there. The principals are basically the same and the well tillered bow is the destination.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC