Author Topic: Rudderboard/Full Draw Pic  (Read 5867 times)

PeteDavis

Rudderboard/Full Draw Pic
« on: October 02, 2008, 06:41:24 pm »
Confession: I am not a bowyer.

A month or two ago I got a couple floor-tillered hickory board staves from Jim Boswell. They are tapered boards really. I took this one in the pic, and backed it with burlap and titebond. Blowup insurance.

I then tillered the stave in using a tree that I made. Got good smooth bends, 1/4" positive in the upper limb, not too much action near the handle. I took off a TON of wood.  The bow pulls about 60# @ 26.5". I figure it will drop a few pounds. I cut a small shelf in, and added some oak riser material to scupt a handle. All done with the woodwork now.

Anyway, I shot it today about 100 times and it shoots great. Hits real hard. I am now going to stain it dark mahogany, Danish Oil it once, Tru-Oil three times over that and then wax it. A hunting bow for 2008!

Sorry to bore you real bowyers...but based on this experience I am probably going to start building some bows this winter.

PD

Tillered, tuned, sealed and stained 10-04-08

It's in the Tru-Oil phases now....

« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 11:45:57 am by PeteDavis »

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
Re: Rudderboard
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 06:44:43 pm »
Cool!Welcome to the addicition,the next thing ya know youll be makin arras,breakin rocks,and wonderin why you didnt start sooner.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 06:47:57 pm »
That aught to be a good hunter for this year Pete - looks good from what I can see.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 07:01:26 pm »
Way to go Pete. Hang on!!! Addiction ahead!     pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 07:15:13 pm »
good job pete,  dont feel bad about that bow,  i started the same way from the same source. heck i think i even  have one or two of those board bow staves laying in the garage yet. keeping those for when the neighbor kid decides that he wants to give it a try instead of just watching me and asking questions.

and yes it is an addiction

peace,
                                                                               tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Scowler

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 07:18:14 pm »
Congratulations on the bow.  Jim Boswell's outfit (Rudderbows) makes some nice stuff.  I'm not a bowyer either, Pete but I am currently shooting with a bow that I got from them about a month ago.  Hickory backed hickory english style longow.  It only pulls around 35# at my draw lengh but it puts a reletively heavy arrow (467 grains) downrange with some speed.  

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 11:41:35 pm »
Cool!Welcome to the addicition,the next thing ya know youll be makin arras,breakin rocks,and wonderin why you didnt start sooner.

exactly!

full-draw???

frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 11:54:15 pm »
Welcome aboard sounds like you got your feet wet .
                                                              Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Rich Saffold

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 01:34:26 am »
It's all about having fun, and this is the best of primal recreation ;D  You got a stout bow on your first try..Nice work Pete!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 02:20:54 am »
Ain't nothing wrong with a Board Bow ....Pete.....except that it will become an addiction....and the next thing ....Your Garage will have more wood than the Local Lumberyard!! Good Luck.....Have Fun.....ans Welcome to P.A.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 07:12:19 am »
Nice to see. Congratulations! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 03:06:06 pm »
 Hey ! Looks like your on your way.You are way ahead of me.I am still trying to get one to hold together.Still hunting with a bow that another guy made.(Not that there is anything wrong with that) Best of luck on the hunt.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 03:54:20 pm »
Welcome Pete!  I started with a couple of staves and am now trying boards.  It's all wood, and that is what is interesting to me about selfbows is that there are SO many different types to experiment with.  By the way, for us junkies, it is considered bad form and "teasing" to post a new bow without a full draw photo.   ::)  On the tillering tree is OK if you don't have someone to take the photo, but drawn by the maker (or an attractive model  >:D) is preferred!

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Rudderboard/Full Draw Pic
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 09:36:44 am »
Really good looking bow, Pete. 8) Looks like a pile of bow wood behind you there, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Rudderboard/Full Draw Pic
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 11:14:53 am »
That's what i was looking at too Steve - the pile of bow wood in the background ;D. Good looking full draw Pete, I like mine to start bending a little quicker at the fades.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.