Author Topic: A Hupa style bow  (Read 16994 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: A Hupa style bow
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 10:54:41 pm »
   That's a sweet looking bow Dan. Beautiful art work. I think you could have got a inch or more and helped the tiller if it bent in the handle area more though.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 12:12:25 pm »
Quite the art work and quite the well-made bow.  Good entry for Sept Self Bow of the Month.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 09:21:41 am »
Thanks to everyone.  Mullet, I agree that I could get more bend toward the handle.  I may re-work the tiller.  Thanks.
Dan

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 11:13:18 am »
Nice job Dan,beautiful paint work ,you are a very talented guy. :) A little more bending torward the handle wouldn't hurt.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

tommy6

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 02:26:15 pm »
That is a beautiful bow I love Pacific Coast native artwork. What kind of paint and sealer did you use?

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2008, 11:09:32 am »
Tommy,  acrylic paint and wipe-on poly. 
Dan

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2008, 01:33:18 pm »
Dirty Dan, nice job. Like everyone says the paint looks great. I'm gonna guess that the sinew will take about 6mths to fully cure and poundage should go up if the hickory does'nt get sloppy on you due to humidity. What part of the country do you live in?   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Traxx

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2008, 03:17:09 pm »
Dirty Dan,
Outstanding reproduction!!!!
I have Hupa,Karok and Yurok,friends and relations.Any one of em,would be proud to own a bow like that.

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2008, 03:44:47 pm »
I have never shot short bows like these.  Do you put a mark on your arrow at maximum draw?  I think I would just keep drawing it longer and longer until I eventually broke the thing.   >:(  Or should you just match a short bow with short arrows that you can draw full length?

I love the colors and patterns in the California bows.  I live in the Pacific Northwest, and really enjoy the Northwest Coastal art we have here which is totally different.  Does anyone have examples of artwork used on Northwest Coastal bows?  The Northwest First Nations peoples were a maritime culture and were really known more for their masks, canoes, paddles, totems & longhouses.  They were primarily fishermen and whalers, but I know they also used bows.  I am guessing bows would have decorated as well - they decorated everything else they made...

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline benjamin

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2008, 04:14:38 pm »
putting a wrap on the shaft at the highest draw limit is a good way to keep from overdrawing when you shoot quickly. i like doing it but if you really need it, then you built the bow wrong. Short bows especially need to be built to the archer. My short bows are made to draw 18'' because that is where my wrist stops at my chin. I might overdraw 1/2'' depending on how stiff my bow arm is but that is my comfort zone. If your zone is the same but your bow draws 21'' and you're just floating your hand out in space wondering if you're there yet, you will be very inaccurate. If your budy's short draw just happens to be 21'' long, I say give the bow to him and make another one.
if I replicate a indian style bow, I make it to MY draw, not that archer's draw.

Bowbound

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2008, 06:29:59 am »
Nice bow, and some great artistic talents too ;)

Redbone

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2008, 11:06:33 am »
Nice Bow Dan!   I made a Modoc bow a few months ago very similar to yours.. They are fun to build, And I think it took me longer to paint the bow than it did to build. Those lines can start running together after a few hours of painting :o

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2008, 05:07:37 pm »
Amen to that, Redbone.  That is a beautiful bow that you made.  I really enjoy the painting aspect, as I am sure you do.

Dan

Offline Gordon

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 01:01:31 am »
That's a neat looking bow. The artwork is really eye-catching. I've got to tackle one of those soon - you've inspired me.
Gordon

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2008, 01:08:45 pm »
Thanks for sharing Redbone.  Would you mind posting a couple of closeup photos of the artwork you did?

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...