Author Topic: Wish Me Luck!  (Read 7057 times)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Wish Me Luck!
« on: October 04, 2008, 01:05:19 am »
Opening morning tomarrow! I'm going to need all the luck I can get! Be in my stand by 6:30Am.....Can't wait, won't be getting much sleep tonight.... ;D I'll be dreaming of running a obsidian tipped arrow through a big buck all night, LoL... ::)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Keenan

Re: Wish Me Luck!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 01:12:52 am »
Go gettem Bro,  Best of luck to ya, be sure to get some good pics for us ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 10:58:35 am »
Good luck Ryan. I have no doubt if the deer gives you an opportunity you will make the best of it!  Looking forward to pics.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 11:01:19 am »
Here it is the 4th, 10am - your probably standing over a steaming gut pile as I type ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 11:06:30 am »
hunt safe brother... look forward to some hunting pics on here... Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Little John

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 11:15:37 am »
Best of luck Ryan, I am there with you and know you have some good ones running around.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 03:30:07 pm »
 Good luck to you ! Enjoy the hunt and hopefully get some meat too !  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 04:35:09 pm »
Best of luck- hope your morning was moe productive than mine (blew four stalks in two hours) ;D!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 05:48:42 pm »
Good luck Buddy!  I'm sure you'll get it done. ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Ryano

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 12:37:40 pm »
Well, it was a long day yesterday. Started out good, but ended up not so great. I saw 15 deer yesterday morning all does and fawns except one 4 pointer which stood right under my stand for a while. All the does but 1 passed by just out of my range of comfort. I ended up shooting that one about a 10 yards slightly quartering away. It looked like a good shot right behind the last rib angling forward. I should have got liver, the diaphragm and at least one lung, but the arrow didn't make a exist hole. We searched all afternoon looking for a blood trail and or the deer and never found anything. Not even a spec of blood. This was my first attempt to shoot something with a stone tip and I gotta say now I have my doubts. It got really good penetration, I'm still in disbelief over the whole incident. I know that deer is laying dead some place and I can't find it. I sure the coyotes have her ate about half up by now as I saw 4 of them while we were looking for her. They were acting strange they knew we were in the area and didn't seem to afraid. I think they may have already found my deer and thats why they wouldn't leave.  It was pretty creapy.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 12:46:29 pm »
Thats a bummer ryan :( I'm also hunting stone this year. Have monday thru sunday off so will be after them all week.
Should have shot a yote :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 12:54:45 pm »
Sorry you didn't recover your deer. Do you think the outcome would be better if you used steel? You got good penetration and through the vitals. Did you let her lay for a while before tracking her? Not having an exit wound makes for some very difficult tracking without blood to follow. Sounds like with as many deer as you saw you will get another chance. ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryano

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 01:39:16 pm »
Don't know Pat. Seemed like it should of bled at least a little bit, the entrance wound wasn't that high. We left it lay for like 4 hours before we went after it. It was cold yesterday, first frost of the year. I'm heading back out there right now with my dog to see if she can find it, or whats left of it.  :P

Dana, I was carrying my bow but them coyotes didnt hold still, they were running around us.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 02:19:04 pm »
Good luck Ryan, Though a quartered away is the best shot you can take and best for penetration to the vitals it can be a real bear to track if you are through the stomach on the entrance and have no exit. I doubt the senario would be much diferent with steel. Behind the last rib forward will as you said take out liver, diaphragm and opposite lung but often the stomack with seal the entrance. Seem it several times.hope ya find her Bro. Use those yotes as trackers they'll find her no problem

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 08:35:26 am »
Sorry you couldn't find your doe Ryan. That occasionally happens when hunting even with the best of preparation. Keith loss a doe Saturday morning even with what he thought was a good hit. She poured the blood the first 75 yards or so and then just stopped. We looked for her for several hours really searching the thickets without success. Each of us thought from the blood that she shouldn't have traveled far...

Keith killed a 6-point that same Saturday evening.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...