Author Topic: I got an arrow in one  (Read 4316 times)

whitewoodshunter

I got an arrow in one
« on: October 04, 2008, 11:26:33 pm »
 I didn't have much luck this morning but this afternoon a stuck a good sized doe. I couldn't find the arrow but found blood. I'm going to go look for her in the morning.I'm tired and sleepy. Wish me luck.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: I got an arrow in one
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 11:29:12 pm »
Good luck and don't forget your camera.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 12:29:50 am »
Hope that you have a Deer left when you get there....I know here...it would be gone ....either the Cats or Coyotes or Buzzards would have it....or it would be ruined from the heat..today when I went Hunting....I stopped and drug a roadkilled Doe off of the Road....cut the Leg Tendons out.....there want much else the Semi left that was edible for a Human......when I came back after just 7 hours..the Carcass was almost totally stripped....and there was 4 Buzzards and 3 Ravens at what was left....now thats Natures way of cleaning up!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 01:03:48 pm »
Well I found what was left of my deer. Looked like coyotes and maybe a bear had got at it in the night. I was really upset to say the least. But I'll try again tomorrow. I moved my stand closer to the bedding area so maybe the deer will get to me sooner and I'll have more daylight for a recovery.Thats the 4 th deer or me and my sinew backed hickory.It was weird I only found about 3 inches of my arrow. It looked like she might have bit the arrow in two.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 01:07:35 pm »
How far had she run? Was the portion of the arrow you found the business end and where was it when you found it?   Sorry you lost your deer. Can you recover any usable parts like leg and backstrap sinews?     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 10:22:19 pm »
Thats what I expected to hear....don't know where you live......but it was what I was expecting......thats why I bought me a Blood Trailing Light....I wont leave them out overnight any more.....too much of a waste of meat.....sorry to hear it....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 10:26:04 pm »
I couldn't tell what part of the arrow it was it was really bloody and only 3 inches long. I did get some sinew and a small part of hide I might make into a grip wrap. She ran about 75 yards and expired in a patch of high grass about 5 feet tall I walked past it 3 or 4 times before I found her.There was no blood until she got in the grass then there was blood everywhere.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 11:34:59 pm »
Sorry for the loss of your kill, I have lost elk to grizzly bears, and it leaves a sickening feeling with you wondering what you could have done different....sometimes the better predators get there first... look forward to pics of your next one ... happy hunting HAWK
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 08:25:04 am »
Sorry you loss your deer. One of my hunting buddies hit one late Saturday evening and what little sign we found looked like a gut shot. We decided to back off her and look for her in the morning. We found her still complete...she had made a circle and he had actually put a good hit on her. Very little blood as there was no exit hole.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 11:59:07 pm »
 dang... sorry to hear your loss. well, at least you can say you did it traditional, i think 2009 season is when Im going to go out with one of my own. What kind of arrow was it? I shot a deer with a carbon arrow and it broke it in two, but not in three inches... that is pretty odd, was it the broadhead end or the fletching end? maybe it ran against a tree and it snapped off, its hard to say, plus I wasnt there. good luck, hpe to hear some more good campfire stories ;D jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 06:31:01 pm »
It was a sitka spruce arrow. And after close examination I found bite marks on the arrow. So she must have bitten it in three pieces, the one piece being in her mouth.

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 11:17:11 pm »
wow, thats a weird encounter... you think it licked it closed, or maybe bedded down near water or anything?
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.