Author Topic: Pyramid help please  (Read 3663 times)

Offline rebelrecurve

Pyramid help please
« on: October 06, 2008, 09:19:56 pm »
Hi all.  I've roughed out my first pyramid bow, 64" ntn, 2.5" wide at fades tapering to 1/2" tips.  From what i understand the thickness should be more or less uniform along the length of the limb to achieve more circular tiller.  Any suggestions on a starting point for thickness for a bow in the #45 range?  I was thinking of taking it down to 3/8 and going from there.  The bow is maple, and will be backed with linen.  Any help would be appreciated :)
Mike

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Pyramid help please
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 09:46:27 pm »
I wouldn't go down quite that thin. What couple of pyramids I've made, i usually roughed them out about 5/8"-still barely bending, but leaves you plenty of meat to tiller it down. The last one I made wound up at 7/16" thick most of the way at 53#, so if I'd started it at 3/8", I would have been in trouble. Every piece of wood is different, so it pays to err on the safe side.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 10:05:15 pm »
I'm with Hillbilly.....I would err on the Heavy side....most of mine are between 7/16ths and a 1/2 Inch thick when complete....don't go to 3/8ths....be too risky
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Shooter_G22

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 10:38:04 pm »
hey rebelrecurve,

can you post up pics of your project as you go...   i would love to see how yor bow is doing and how it looks in the process...

ive been wanting to learn more about the pyramid Bow and its style and look.. and i havent been able to pick up a bowers bible yet...   maybe i should do a search on it huh.. but anyhow id love to see your work in progress to get a better understanding..  thanks..

Offline rebelrecurve

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 08:14:39 am »
Thanks guys, I'll play it safe and go thicker.  If it works out I'll post pics.
Mike

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 09:03:57 am »
I usually start at about 1/2 inch for that length bow,a little more if it is longer. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good