Author Topic: Congratulations to Adam Bonney for a Most Intriguing September Laminate Bow  (Read 14986 times)

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
Congratulations to Adam Bonney of Bloomington, Indiana
for a Most Intriguing September Laminate Bow

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,8837.0.html
If you want to make this bow, here's how >:D
This bow is in response to the "Orc bow" which I posted a while back. I started this bow before I made the orcbow, but something happened to the tiller. There was a hinge that developed in the lower limb, just below the handle. I added a riser of walnut which spanned the handle and the hinge area, which more or less fixed the problem. Though I am not sure about the tiller. I laid this one out (and I don't remember why) with the arrow in the very center of the bow, and the handle taken out of the lower limb.
So since the success of making the orcbow a double bow, which is similar to the Penobscot style, I decided to try that again. The first full draw pic shows the bow with the added walnut riser. The bow draws 48# at 28". The second pic shows the bow with the second bow added. Now the bow is up to 73# at 28".
The original bow is Hophornbeam. It is based on a bow shown in the T.B.B. vol 2, page 149. It shows an Eskimo cable backed bow, with ivory struts over the recurves.
My bow is 67" long and 1 1/16" wide. About 5/8" thick at the handle. The cable is artificial sinew (nylon). There is a toggle which can be used to adjust the tension of the cable.
The second bow is made of walnut and a 3/16" thick hickory lamination. There is also curly maple veneer on top, just for looks.
This bow is 34" long ,1 1/32" wide, and also 5/8" thick at the center.
In the words of Aragorn in "The Fellowship of the RIng", "Let's hunt some orc!"
For good reason, this bow gets lots of praise:"Now this bow is scary cool!!" -Dano
"I think that with a bow like that I should just call you sir. That bow is so off the hook. That has got to be the wildest thing I have ever seen" -cracker
"Wild bow, cool mask, and a very candid photographer..great thread Orcbow!" -Rich Saffold
"Man...reading this thread brings back memories of late nights playing AD&D with funny dice and lead miniatures (before they started making them from pewter).  I was a dungeon master back in the day...and I'd give that bow a d8 for damage and a savings throw (for confusion) or be unable to attack for one round while you try to figure out what the cable was for.  (sorry Postman) I like your spiel on penobscot style bows....I made one for my nephew and I noticed a few things:
You can get a longer draw from a shorter bow because you can make the limbs thinner (ie, more flexible) without loosing power and without gaining width. The cable reduces string follow...even when strung for long periods of time (my nephew keeps his strung for weeks) -It looks intimidating and powerful." -jackcrafty

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 01:19:55 pm by OldBow »
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline medicinewheel

congrats! your bow is very interesting, an evenmore unique combination of other unique designs such as the penobscot bow and the cable-backed inuit bow!
your bow had my vote!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Bowbound

A worthy winner, i've never seen a bow like it before!

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
Some real thought went into that bow, for sure, Adam. Job well done.
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

orcbow

Thank you Frank, and Josh, and Bernie!

You all are so kind, for accepting my odd creations and references!!
Thanks for your votes, and thanks to Primitive Archer Magazine for providing a place for my madness to shine! >:D

-- ;) orcbow

Offline DanaM

Congrats Adam :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Congratulations on a very interesting and I'm sure challenging bow!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Congrats Adam,very nice bow,well done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Congrat's Adam on your win. That is one wild looking bow :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

orcbow

Thank you, DanaM, GregB,Pappy, and Cowboy!

I'm honored to receive this distinction!

Offline Keenan

Congratulations Orcbow, that is a very unique and I'm sure challenging bow to build. Love seeing people try knew ideas and seeing what is possible,  Keenan

Offline ber643

Adam, your collage and win is now posted in my Full Draw pages (as usual with the BOMs) - Please enjoy:

http://residents.bowhunting.net/bsdunn/tbd18.htm
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

orcbow

Thanks Keenan!

Bernie- That is a neat webpage that you've got. I'm honored to be a part of it. Thanks again!

-orcbow

Offline ber643

My pleasure, Adam, and thank you. Visit often, as I am always adding your friends and mine at Full Draw - along with other parts to the web site.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
that bow rocks brother,  very cool .. HAWK a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston