Author Topic: beaver tail bow grip  (Read 5735 times)

Offline backwoods

beaver tail bow grip
« on: October 05, 2008, 06:19:35 pm »
dont know if this is in the right sight. but can someone help? i killed a beaver with my bow friday skinned out the tail and salted it down. would like to make a bow grip. where do i go from here? to get the hide soft enought to use.

Offline FlintWalker

Re: beaver tail bow grip
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 01:15:57 am »
I usually skin 'em out, flesh it and put it on green. When it dries, it will shrink some and be molded to the shape of the handle.
 I'm afraid once it dries out, you may not be able to do much with it. ???
  I will tell ya not to thin the edges too much though.  Beaver tail is not very tough. The lacing holes will tear out very easily, especially if their too close to the edge.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 08:57:30 am »
I've only put beaver tail on one bow. The tail had been treated the same way as yours. I laced it and let it soak in water about 30 minutes or so prior to putting it on. Had TBIII glue on the handle area before sliding grip in place. Like Sawfiler said, be very careful not to pull to hard on the lacing or it will rip out of the hole. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline possum

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 05:34:16 pm »
I did one also.  I skinned out the tail and fleshed it clean.  Then I just let it dry.  A few years later I soaked it and put it on the bow.  I put glue on the handle area of the bow the laced the beaver tail onto the handle.  Pretty simple really.

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline backwoods

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 07:42:10 pm »
thanks for all the help. hope to finish the bow i am working on an try it.