Author Topic: Susquehanna  (Read 4284 times)

PeteDavis

Susquehanna
« on: October 05, 2008, 09:37:04 pm »
10-4-08

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Re: Susquehanna
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 09:51:09 pm »
very nice pete... great job.... HAWK
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 10:14:54 pm »
  Good job, Pete. What kind of rock is that?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

PeteDavis

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 10:29:46 pm »
I did a demo at a frontier farm here sat. that's when I did the Susquehanna. I had ordered a bunch of colored novaculite from Craig Ratzat months ago and I thought he'd forgotten it.....it showed up friday so I used it. It's a little layery and pretty un-glassy. But it flakes OK for an amateur like me (knapping three months now!).
PD

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 10:54:03 pm »
  Doesn't look like an amatuer to me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 11:28:06 pm »
My thoughts too Eddie.  Good job Pete.   I have to go to a Fiscal Law course for work next week, which mean I'll be away from the office.  I'll take my lunch and eat outside away from the crowd, enjoy the weather, and do a little knapp'n my self.  Provided the weather and Blackberry cooperate.  :'(
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 05:00:42 pm »
Somebody must just be a natural at it.  I can work for three days and only get a couple bifaces knocked out.  Lokks good to me.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 07:28:49 pm »
Nice one Pete! Man I love that novaculite but it scares me sometimes - I gotta remember to back off a little after bashing on them rocks I've got ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 10:09:57 pm »

Nice one Pete.  In three months you sure make it look easy.  I keep ending up with micro heads, or just a pile of flakes, and lots of blood offerings ( mine ) to the lithic Gods that be.  Just the other day, I smashed the skin off of my right index finger's, middle knuckle.  I've take a little break from it for now.  Till my finger heals up a bit.  I did make one actually fairly nice head.  But I haven't been as fortuneate since then.  You seem to defintely have a knack, or " Knapp " for it.  It is pretty simple I guess, if you look at like carving elephants.  You just cut away everything that doesn't look like an elephant!  I just can't quite get the hang of flaking away everything that doesn't look like an arrow head.  Thanks for the picture, and I hope to see more.  Keeps me inspired to keep at it till the little light goes on and the " Aha " moment kicks in.  But I think I may need to change my bulb......

Wayne

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 12:46:12 am »
(quote)  I had ordered a bunch of colored novaculite from Craig Ratzat months ago and I thought he'd forgotten it.....

Heh old Craig dose take his time shipping out rocks and stuff, but he always makes good on it, and fare price too.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline xin

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 11:59:22 am »
odd looking novaculite.  Maybe just the light.

PeteDavis

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 04:49:42 pm »
in better light-it's purplish and un-glassy but works well

Offline xin

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 08:40:46 pm »
That looks like novaculite.

jamie

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 04:58:31 am »
wow 3 months!!!